cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmac24
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Do I need to change to update mode if only using CC?

My first time upgrading Solidcore on Linux systems. They only have Change Control enabled, not App Control. Do I need to put them in update mode before kicking off the client task to install the new version?

Thanks

Labels (1)
5 Replies
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: Do I need to change to update mode if only using CC?

Upgrade is supported in Update, Enabled, and Disabled modes.

Before upgrading the software, review these guidelines and make sure that your environment meets all requirements.

• Upgrade is possible only at the existing installation location. Upgrading to an alternative path is not supported.
• Upgrade is supported in Update, Enabled, and Disabled modes.
• You can upgrade the software in Enabled mode on all supported Windows platforms. If you are using a software distribution tool to upgrade in Enabled mode, assign updater rights to all relevant binary files of the software distribution tool. To assign updater rights to a file, use this command: updaters add <binary file>

• If you upgrade in Disabled mode, make sure that you re-create the whitelist for the system when using
the software.
• The default rule list (as available in a fresh installation) isn't imported on an upgrade. All existing monitoring, filter, read-protect, and write-protect rules applied before upgrade remain intact.

Please refer to page 23 from the link below

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/27000/PD27923/en_US/...

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Jmac24
Level 11
Message 3 of 6

ok now I'm thoroughly confused. These are currently licensed and managed systems via ePO running Solidcore with Change Control enabled. I'll be using a ePO client task to update. I'm just trying to update them from 6.3.0.152 to 6.3.0.794. I thought it was as simple as updating the extension, putting the systems in observe mode, running the client task and then re-enabling.

In my case, are you saying I need to follow through all of the tasks mentioned in the KB and documentation you guys provided? Looking at Page 23 in the documentation is confusing to me because I'm not in a standalone environment. The KB is talking about licensing. I'm simply trying to upgrade a group of test systems for acceptance testing for the update.

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Jmac24 My apologies, I misread the question and thought you were talking about adding the App Ctrl license to your clients.

For upgrading MACC Linux clients, please follow the Installation Guide below.  It does state that the systems need to be in Update or Disable mode (although Update mode is recommended).  The Installation Guide below goes through "managed" and "unmanaged" scenarios.

PD28049 - Application Control and Change Control 6.3.0 - Linux Installation Guide
Page 19, "Upgrade to a new software version"

On Page 22, the client upgrade is mentioned in section "Upgrade the Solidcore client on the endpoints".

McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

1 On the McAfee ePO console, select Menu | Systems | System Tree.

2 Apply the client task to a group or an endpoint:
• Group – Select a group in the System Tree and click the Assigned Client Tasks tab.
• Endpoint – Select the endpoint on the Systems page and click Actions | Agent | Modify Tasks on a Single System.

3 Click Actions | New Client Task Assignment to open the Client Task Assignment Builder page.

4 Select the McAfee Agent product, Product Deployment task type, then click Create New Task to open the Client Task
Catalog page.

5 Specify the task name, add any descriptive information, select the target platform, then specify the
component and action:
• Select the appropriate package from the Products and components list.
• Select the Install action.
• Select the language of the package.
• Set branch to Current for new packages.

6 Click Save, then click Next to open the Schedule page.

7 Specify scheduling details, click Next, then click Save.

8 Restart the endpoints.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Jmac24
Level 11
Message 6 of 6

Ok so seems pretty straightforward like I mentioned in my last post. I wanted to make sure there were no gotchas I needed to account for aside from making sure I had all the systems in Update Mode first, and nothing special to do post update besides normal checks and testing.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community