cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to remove Anti-Theft

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 7537 with Windows 8.1 which had McAfee factory installed. I would like to uninstall it.

When I use Control Panel/Programs and Features I see McAfee Anti-Virus in the programs list. When I select it and uninstall, nothing happens.

I have searched the communities and tried several things but nothing works.

I ran the Intel ESU utility and it tells me

Error: AT MEI/HECI driver initialization failed

AT Enrollment Code: 8193

AT Enrollment Status: Not Enrolled

I downloaded the MCPR (removal tool) and when I try to run it I get an error: This tool cannot run with McAfee Anti-Theft installed. Please contact support for help.

I saw a post suggesting to delete references to McAfee from program files and the registry. But when I went to Program Files and tried to delete the McAfee directories, I got an error "This action cannot be completd because the folder or a file in it is in use by another program."

I went to Task Manager and removed McAfee from Startup and stopped the processes named McAfee, I went to the services and stopped the McAfee services I saw there. I rebooted and tried again but I got the same error.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can remove this software that I did not install or register, I would greatly appreciate it.

4 Replies
k3tg
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to remove Anti-Theft

McAfee anti theft is by design difficult to uninstall. Please contact Technical Support at the top of this page under Useful Links for assistance in removing the software

Thank you for the swift response - I will contact them today and post the result.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Also moved this to Anti-Theft as the best spot.

Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hi Robinraben,

Please let us know if you contacted Tech Support and removed Antitheft Service from your computer..! If Yes Please mark this thread as Answered..!

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community