cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open Vault recovered from damaged disk

I used to have McAfee Total Protection on my laptop. When it expired, I did not renew it as I was on my travels through various countries and I did not take the time to renew my subscription. However, I still had the McAfee Vaults (3 vaults) on my system in which i stored my very important documents and priceless photos of my extended family. sadly, my computer crashed. To make matters worse, I did not have a back of my data and had to send my hard drive to various companies to try and recover my data. I was able to retrieve the "vaults" but no other data. However, "the vaults" were in a file which couls not be opened. I then downlaoded McAfee's Personal Vault (Beta Trial version) to see if I could open it by using my passwords should it ask for one. But an error message keeps poping up when I attempt to open the vault.

Error: 0xe2040000

Description: The file is not a McAfee Personal Vault.

Do I now un-install this Personal Vault, and if so, what then? I am desperate to open these vaults. CAN ANYONE HELP....PLEASE.

joe

19 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 20

Re: How to open Vault recovered from damaged disk

I am not a product expert but I have moved your post into the Home and Home Office area. Hopefully someone can help you soon!

Hi April, thanks for the assistance. Excuse my ignorance. I am a complete novice at these "forums". In my desperation I thought that it might just be the only solution.

Highlighted
SPyron
Level 12
Message 4 of 20

Joe,

Are you referring to McAfee Anti-Theft?

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com

Hi Somer, thanks for the response. Yes it is McAfee Ant theft

SPyron
Level 12
Message 6 of 20

Pharisan,

Do you remember which email account your original Anti-Theft download was using?? I'm going to see if we can't create a temporary license and get you in that way...

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst

I had both (email address removed for user safety )and accounts. However, the icons "on" the vaults now depict the "Personal Vault" status. Which implies that I have to remove (uninstall) this program correct? That was a question.......and thank you so much for your efforts, I will owe you big time IF we can crack it. Hey, I cracked a joke! Honestly, I am very upset...and sad.

Message was edited by: Dinz on 3/30/10 10:57:34 AM GMT-06:00
Dinz
Level 16
Message 8 of 20

Hi pharisan,

I have removed your email address for security purpose , Please let us know did we try to uninstall and reinstall the product ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

Hi Dinesh, thanks for that.  I'm running around like a headless chicken here. No you did not....as yet. I was hoping to get a reply to my previous message from Somer. She's given me some hope. I need to know if I should uninstall the McAfee Personal Vault program.

SPyron
Level 12
Message 10 of 20

Hey there!

Just a quick update. As I understand it, you've downloaded and installed a trial copy. What I'm investigating is if this trial copy is a different version than what you had previously, and if that would cause it to think this wasn't a valid vault. Do you happen to recall if you previously had version 1.0 or 1.5?

I'll keep at it on this end and get back with you when I have something.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
McAfee Support Mobile App Available
With the new McAfee Support Mobile App you’ll be able to update, close, and view service requests on your mobile device. The app will also notify you when one of our technical support engineers update a service request. Download the Android version from Google Play and the iOS version from the Apple App Store today!