cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open Vault recovered from damaged disk

I used to have McAfee Total Protection on my laptop. When it expired, I did not renew it as I was on my travels through various countries and I did not take the time to renew my subscription. However, I still had the McAfee Vaults (3 vaults) on my system in which i stored my very important documents and priceless photos of my extended family. sadly, my computer crashed. To make matters worse, I did not have a back of my data and had to send my hard drive to various companies to try and recover my data. I was able to retrieve the "vaults" but no other data. However, "the vaults" were in a file which couls not be opened. I then downlaoded McAfee's Personal Vault (Beta Trial version) to see if I could open it by using my passwords should it ask for one. But an error message keeps poping up when I attempt to open the vault.

Error: 0xe2040000

Description: The file is not a McAfee Personal Vault.

Do I now un-install this Personal Vault, and if so, what then? I am desperate to open these vaults. CAN ANYONE HELP....PLEASE.

joe

19 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 20

Re: How to open Vault recovered from damaged disk

I am not a product expert but I have moved your post into the Home and Home Office area. Hopefully someone can help you soon!

Hi April, thanks for the assistance. Excuse my ignorance. I am a complete novice at these "forums". In my desperation I thought that it might just be the only solution.

Highlighted
SPyron
Level 12
Message 4 of 20

Joe,

Are you referring to McAfee Anti-Theft?

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com

Hi Somer, thanks for the response. Yes it is McAfee Ant theft

SPyron
Level 12
Message 6 of 20

Pharisan,

Do you remember which email account your original Anti-Theft download was using?? I'm going to see if we can't create a temporary license and get you in that way...

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst

I had both (email address removed for user safety )and accounts. However, the icons "on" the vaults now depict the "Personal Vault" status. Which implies that I have to remove (uninstall) this program correct? That was a question.......and thank you so much for your efforts, I will owe you big time IF we can crack it. Hey, I cracked a joke! Honestly, I am very upset...and sad.

Message was edited by: Dinz on 3/30/10 10:57:34 AM GMT-06:00
Dinz
Level 16
Message 8 of 20

Hi pharisan,

I have removed your email address for security purpose , Please let us know did we try to uninstall and reinstall the product ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

Hi Dinesh, thanks for that.  I'm running around like a headless chicken here. No you did not....as yet. I was hoping to get a reply to my previous message from Somer. She's given me some hope. I need to know if I should uninstall the McAfee Personal Vault program.

SPyron
Level 12
Message 10 of 20

Hey there!

Just a quick update. As I understand it, you've downloaded and installed a trial copy. What I'm investigating is if this trial copy is a different version than what you had previously, and if that would cause it to think this wasn't a valid vault. Do you happen to recall if you previously had version 1.0 or 1.5?

I'll keep at it on this end and get back with you when I have something.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst