Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brodus
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Cannot Uninstall McAfee Anti-Theft on Asus Windows 8 Laptop

Hello,

I recently purchased a refurbished windows 8 asus laptop.  I went through all the windows setup, and at no point did I register with McAfee with any anti virus or anti theft.  Now, wanting to uninstall my McAfee trial version I have run into an issue

I ran the windows uninstall utility and it uninstalled most of the program, but there are stil some elements left over.  When i run the removal tool from McAfee's website, it says that McAfee Anti-theft is still installed and I cannot perform the uninstall

1) How do I remove McAfee Anti-Theft?

I read through your FAQ, and it says to log into my account associated with McAfee and this Laptop. Well, I never registered or signed up for McAfee on this laptop.  So there is no account. I made this account a few minutes ago to try and get this issue resolved.

2) How do I uninstall completely?

3) How could McAfee Anti-Theft be registered without me ever signing up?

It's important that i get this resolved ASAP.  If someone could contact me via private message, email, or on these forums to help me solve this; it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

13 Replies
brodus
Level 7
Message 2 of 14

Re: Cannot Uninstall McAfee Anti-Theft on Asus Windows 8 Laptop

anti virus uninstall.PNG
This is the error I recieve while using the MCPR, and this is my enrollment status.  It seems that there is conflicting information....

brodus
Level 7
Message 3 of 14

Sorry, am I in the wrong forums?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Sorry, I have paged a support person for this thread, noit sure when they will be here though.

Moderator selvan
Message 5 of 14

Hi brodus,

I need a clarification whether Anti theft is listed in the Control Panel's list of programs. Or you see any folders named McAfee Anti theft in the Program files and Program files (x86) folder..??

brodus
Level 7
Message 6 of 14

No, McAfee Anti Theft is not listed in program files or control panel.  I wouldn't expect it to be, as I uninstalled it using control panel.  However, when I try to uninstall it completed using the MCPR tool from McAfee's site, I get the screenshot you see above that tells me The tool cannot run with McAfee Anti-Theft installed. 

I assume there's some left over McAfee registry entree's or something that is preventing me from removing your program completely.  I would rather not poke around in the registry, so hopefully there is an easier method to remove the McAfee Anti-Theft tool and whatever left over pieces of the anti-virus are in the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Note from Moderator:  The MCPR tool is NOT meant for use with Anti-Theft, it will NOT work.

on 19/01/14 4:39:03 EST PM
Moderator selvan
Message 7 of 14

Hi brodus,

Create a manual restore point before trying the below steps..!

Check for McAfee folders in the said locations and delete them..!

C:/Program files/

C:/Program files(x86)/

C:/ProgramData/

C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/

C:/Windows/Temp/

Make sure you check "Show hidden files" in "Folder Options" before searching in these locations.

Post back the outcome..!

Regards

on 12/11/13 5:51:12 PM CST
agentes
Level 7
Message 8 of 14

I ran into the same issue but what you suggested was not enough.

I removed all traces of McAfee folders in these locations:

C:\Program files\

C:\Program files\Common Files\

C:\Program files(x86)\

C:\Program files(x86)\Common Files\

C:\ProgramData\

C:\ProgramData\Common Files\

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

Cleared all temp files from:

C:\Windows\Temp\

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\

Finally I backed up my registry and removed any registry entries with the name McAfee:

Open Start>Run>regedit

Delete McAfee folders in:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\

Then I was able to run MCPR to cleanup and it worked.

Hope this helps someone.

Moderator selvan
Message 9 of 14

Hello All,

I would mark the above steps to be an ideal solution for similar issues. Take Caution while working in the registry and above all make sure that the device is Not Enrolled with Anti Theft Services

Regards

robbi
Level 7
Message 10 of 14

I've had this exact same problem, however I am not very tech savy so don't intuitively know the best steps to take to "create a manual restore point" or to "backup my registry".

If you could provide me the steps to complete this process, including creating backups/manual restore points, that would be helpful.

I would also suggest making this troubleshoot more accessible (perhaps updating the links at http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 and http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101466 and http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101371 to account for people who have not installed mcafee, but rather had it preinstalled, and who did not set up a mcafee account).

Like brodus, I also had to set up this profile just to post in this forum to get answers to uninstall a program I did not install nor register for. Since this seems like a common problem, it seems like a good idea to make this information standard and available to people who have not set up accounts.It took me several hours to end up here, so it would have been nice to not have to dig for answers to a common problem.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.