cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Theft decryption went wrong

Jump to solution

I've been using and recommending McAfeeproducts for over 6 years now with no problems at all. I have 4 pcs all runningMcAfee total protection just fine except one. It is a ThinkPad T420s. earlythis year I had the real-time scanner issue where it fails to start properlyand it took a long long time to get it sorted out.

Lately I decided to enable the anti-theftfeature on my laptop so I went ahead and enabled it from the BIOS, installedthe application and activated it with no problems.

All of a sudden, real-time scanner stoppedagain. It stopped working and the total protection client kept asking for arestart because of a newly installed update which seems never happened becauseit asks to restart every time I login.

I tried using MVT and it showed a lot oferrors, missing files, services, registry entries, etc that can’t be fixed!

So I tried to uninstall anti-theft “sinceit was the last thing I installed” and I did that. But in the middle of filesdecryption phase, an error message came up saying an error occurred and theun-installation can’t be completed!

I tried re-installing the anti-theft againbut it tells me there is another copy installed and I should remove it first! WhenI try to access my documents they are all corrupted/encrypted and can’t beaccessed!

I disabled the anti-theft features from thebios and tried again with no luck, it won’t re-install nor uninstall. Not evenfrom windows safe mode.

Now, I have uninstalled virus scanningfeatures from the total protection client to avoid pointless restarts and I need your help on how to properly uninstall anti theft and decrypt my files.

by the way, i followed the steps on (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101466) with no good.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Anti Theft decryption went wrong

Jump to solution

Shilin, thank you so much for your excellent assistance. i am able to access my files now. the problem was with the encryption driver not being installed in my pc. Shilin helped me to install it again and now all my documents are accessible. although the real-time scanning is still unactive, but that's another problem.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Jump to solution

We mods cannot help as you need a tech who knows AT but if noone from Mcafee posts in this thread in 2 days offering to help you post back and I will ping someone to assist you.

Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that you are facing problems with uninstall.  I should be able to help you to uninstall Anti-theft. Before doing that I need to understand the current state of the machine. I will send you private message, please respond to that.

Jump to solution

thanks for your response.

i have replied to your pm and sent you an e-mail as well. waiting for your feedback.

Level 10
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

Thanks Hani.

I am working on your issue, I will get back to you soon.

Jump to solution

Shilin, thank you so much for your excellent assistance. i am able to access my files now. the problem was with the encryption driver not being installed in my pc. Shilin helped me to install it again and now all my documents are accessible. although the real-time scanning is still unactive, but that's another problem.

View solution in original post

Level 10
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

Yes, encryption drivers were not installed in your mahchine and that was the reason files were not opening from My Documents. It is good to know your issue is now resolved.

Get back to me any time if you face any issues.

Level 10
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

Hi Hani,

The server state is reset back to normal. Now you should be able to turn off file protection from the web console. Let me know if you need any asistance.

Jump to solution

you are right, I was able to disable the encryption and server synced correctly.

thank you Shilin for your excellent support and followup, you have restored my faith in mcafee, hopefuly the real-time scanning issue will be sorted out soon.

regards,

Level 10
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

It is happy to know your issue is resolved. The real time scanning issue your are seeing may be because of any of the encrypted file access. Since you have turned off file protection all files will be decrypted. So I hope the real time scan issue also should go away after a while. Use the machine couple of hours and do a reboot as well. Let me know the result.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community