Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robfwtx
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

When will we have GMail support?

You've had years to add GMail support (IE: SSL for POP3).  How much longer do we have to wait?

13 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: When will we have GMail support?

Will ask

robfwtx
Level 7
Message 3 of 14

Thank you.  I have found it hard to believe we still do not have a solution to GMail's POP3 via SSL.  I have Boxbe setup for free just to pull out unapproved senders but many services view the opt-in email Boxbe sends back as bounced messages.  I'd prefer adding what I pay for in Total Protect to help supplement Google's own spam engine, which still misses many types of messages.

Highlighted
okv
Level 11
Message 4 of 14

You can connect one of our fully supported e-mail clients to your Gmail account.

I do believe none of big protection suites in the same niche as we are currently supports POP3 via SSL, please correct me if I'm wrong.

robfwtx
Level 7
Message 5 of 14

@okv, I have no experience with other protection suites for home use.  I could careless about what they offer and what they don't.  I have McAfee, which I pay for every year.  Google added SSL some years ago.  In that time, no attempt has been made to update the program to support Google's webmail.  My only alternative has been to sign up for Boxbe which does connect with and filter out unapproved email.  And Boxbe is FREE.  Why pay for a full protection suite if I can't make use of all it's features?

Did corporate review your comment before posting?  It really looks bad to be posting as a response to a customer.  I wouldn't do that to my IT customers.  You never know what a home user may be using in a corporate environment.  And if the customer is an IT decision maker, you could have just cost your company a major contract for ePO or any other McAfee product.  To me, this reads that unless another company offers such support, we never will.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 14

We've often been asked the question why A/S doesn't support SSL and always been told it never will with some technical explanation that I honestly can't recall.  You can install an email client that will allow the messages to be filtered and forward your Gmail to that.

You might want to post a suggestion regarding this HERE.

Much of this is driven by competition and Norton don't offer it either.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/12/11 5:43:09 EST PM
robfwtx
Level 7
Message 7 of 14

You know, if I expected answers like that, I would never have posted the question.  All it does is tick me off.  I don't care if Norton supports or not, if a developer can create Boxbe to filter messages for free, McAfee can over come the SSL development issues.  Again, I pay for a protection suite that lists webmail filtering.  I expect it to be updated to support all the major webmail services after several years.  It still does not have support for GMail.  That's a problem.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Well suggest it then.  The more people who make suggestions the sooner it might happen.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Anti-Spam filters all my messages here in Windows Mail and one of the accounts is Gmail which I have set to forward all messages to my ISP-supplied email address.

However I realise that wont be satisfactory for you perhaps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/12/11 6:58:49 EST PM

No, it's not a good solution.  You have a major webmail provider that you're not providing support for within your webmail filters.  SSL has been around for some time now.  I expected a no three years ago but not today.  I expect if a provider like Boxbe has free support for filtering GMail for unapproved email addresses, it's not as hard as you guys have been lead to believe.  I want something I can leave running on my PC that will provide another layer of protection.  Even if developers had to change to an IMAP format for Gmail support, it's a step and would resolve this issue.  Since GMail has PUSH support on Android devices, what makes it's way to my Android would be safer.  I have McAfee solutions in place on my Android tablet and smartphone.  I'd like to have nothing but on my PCs as well. 

Off subject, I did attempt to install my 3rd PC this weekend and after many runs of the McAfee cleanup app and a verified clean registry and program directory, I still could not get this PC to install.  I finally gave up and installed Microsoft's free AV/Malware product.  It installed quickly, cleanly, and ran a full scan of the system.  With the comments I've seen here and the lack of interest in providing a webmail interface for Anti-Spam, I'll probably not renew next year and go with Microsoft's solution and leave Boxbe inplace for supplementing Google's own spam filtering.  I don't feel the need to go begging for support in a suggestions box.  I made the same suggestion over 3 years ago to no avail.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community