This problem has finally disappeared from my computer after another reinstall of the security software last week. In contrast to former reinstalls, I did not leave the reinstall process to the McAfee Master Installer this time but removed the software manually as suggested by above. The procedure was as follows: 1) Deleting as many as possible Intel Security/McAfee products by using Windows's "undelete" function; 2) removing remainders with McAfee's MCPR tool; 3) rebooting system; 4) downloading and installing software anew from McAfee's webpage. After this the Anti-Spam module worked properly again although the displayed content version was still "5706"; one or two days later the content version was updated to "5770".
So this seems to be a way to solve the problem but all personal settings are of course lost in the process.
Wow- that's a lot of effort! I hope it stays fixed. My hopes aren't high since you now essentially have a fresh install. I had that too, and so did you, and it broke.
I hope McAfee will fix McAfee's problem. Their software is installed because it's supposed to protect my machines, saving time and hassle, not waste my time. I'll just disable each feature as it breaks until I am forced to go elsewhere. So far it's just this anti-spam feature.
Yes, I also hope it holds because delete/reinstall is always the last option and I am not willing to repeat this process too often. And I definitely agree that it would be much more comfortable if McAfee could take care about those issues by providing appropriate updates or diagnosis software. The MVT tool, for example, could not spot any faults on my machine although the Anti-Spam function was clearly broken.
For the moment, at least, I am content now and will wait and see. Much luck with your software, too!
We are on the lookout for volunteers willing to share logs to McAfee with regards to Thunderbird crashing with McAfee Spam Killer toolbar. Please post back with the issue description to proceed further.
I would definitely contact support as Ex_Brit suggested. For there definitely by looking at your screenshot of the Build/Version. I noticed that you are not 'Current' with your (Content Version) It should be (5743) at the minimum.
Support's first line of defense is always 'reinstall', and many times I wind up with the non-Dell version and eventually I get a BSOD somewhere. Support tends not to be much help with me.
I just did a CHECK FOR UPDATES and it did find 'somethings'. Installed i,hem but Anti-Spam was not changed.
What my account shows:
McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security via Dell XPS