Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeepButi
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 51 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and Mcafee spam

Jump to solution

Any idea about TB 3 & McAfee compatibility plans? It's time to renew my 3-user McAfee subscription and I'm seriously considering not to do it. If they don't care about users, why should I trust them?

dengrove
Level 7
Message 52 of 109

Jump to solution

I switched to "paid" Avast.  It seems good but I've only been using it for a couple of weeks on 3 computers. I looked into BitDefender but 2 of my computers are 64bit and they had a "major" problem recently where they deleted key systems files needed for startup because Bit Defender identified them as Trojans. McAfee seemed disinterested in retaining me as a customer as every time I called them I received a runaround and when asked for some consideration in terms of an extension for the poor service and that I was set to auto renew, I was sent an email indicating that McAfee changed my auto renew so that it would not renew unless I chose to.  I chose not to. Here is a link to some information on the various choices. I don't know how reliable this review is but it's a start for you - http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

DeepButi
Level 7
Message 53 of 109

Jump to solution

After +5 years of using McAfee seems they don't like keeping us as customers. Two clearly know important issues (TB 3 incompatibility and Mvschost.exe 100% CPU usage) have been unsolved for several months now. Neither a formal announcement of solving planned date. This is not what one would expect of a major player.

There are other well placed antivirus vendors ... take a look here. The first one on the list, for a 3 user license and 2 year subscription has an increadible cheap price!

And no, McAfee is not on the podium.

Previous to the actual situation I had not even the sligthest interest in looking at other possibilities. I was really happy with McAfee. But CPU hanging for months and e-mail system not working for months is more than we can tolerate. A shame.

GWE
Level 7
Message 54 of 109

Jump to solution
"Mvschost.exe 100% CPU usage".  Could you please explain this issue to me?  
This may be casuing some of my slowdown issues. 
This would be when you open task manager on XP Pro and it lists all the running apps?

As for the poor service from McAfee I have been with them for 9 years and completly agree with you on this.

Thanks
GWE
DeepButi
Level 7
Message 55 of 109

Jump to solution

For McSvHost.exe CPU problem read this thread.

It happens on some XP systems. Open Task Manager and sort by CPU usage. If McSvHost and mefefire are using almost all CPU ... welcomme on board. It's a known problem since ... mmm ... last century? ... well, a little bit less, but for sure more than 3 months now.

McAfee answer? None.

I cancelled my automatic subscription this morning after +5 years of using McAfee ... not an easy decission, but I cannot have three PCs without Thunderbird spam control and one of them with the 100% CPU problem.

Re: Thunderbird 3 and Mcafee Spam - Surely McAfee will fix incompatabilities?!

Jump to solution

I have a 3-workstation license for McAfee Total Protection to cover my home network and I have begun to convert the email clients on all three PCs on it from Outlook/Windows Mail to Thunderbird in preparation for moving them up to Windows 7.  Today I finished converting the last of my old Outlook "pst" archives and was feeling rather pleased with my Thunderbird install when I noticed McAfee Anti-Spam was missing from it.  No problem I thought - just reinstall McAfee, it will detect my default email client and do the rest.  A half-hour later, after the reinstall and then getting my network security reestablished, there was still no McAfee Anti-Spam in Thunderbird!  I'd really like to think this is a temporary issue, but the fact this thread is nine months old is extremely disconcerting.  I really like(d) McAfee's Anti-Spam but I wouldn't have renewed my Total Protection subscription if I'd realized McAfee's support for Thunderbird was so unreliable.  I've used McAfee for decades so this is almost unthinkable.  Hopefully they'll come through real soon...  please...

Jump to solution

And here it is December and still no fix. Shameful. Must be a republican running this show for sure!

Gong67
Level 7
Message 58 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and McAfee spam

Jump to solution

Believe it or not, the last update to McAfee AntiSpam has fixed the antispam toolbar problem for me for T'bird 3.1.6 and when I updated to 3.1.7. That is, if you select a message and use the toolbar to make it spam, McAfee marks the header as SPAM and puts it into the McAfee Anti-Spam folder, and similarly selecting a message which has been declared as spam and selecting the toolbar option to be not spam it puts it back into the Inbox minus the SPAM header. This is the way it used to work so it seems fixed.

The AntiSpam version is 11.5 build 11.5.141 updated Dec 8th.

The release notes state:

1If you install McAfee Anti-Spam before you install either the Thunderbird or Eudora email programs, you do not see the McAfee Anti-Spam toolbar. Reinstall McAfee Anti-Spam after you install your email program to see the Anti-Spam toolbar.
2An email’s digital signature breaks when you mark it as “spam” or “not spam” using the buttons on your Anti-Spam toolbar. Manually drag the email into, or out of, the McAfee Anti-Spam folder instead of using the toolbar buttons to preserve its digital signature.

McAfee Anti-Spam does not work with Microsoft Outlook 2010. Turn off the Anti-Spam toolbar from the Anti-Spam settings page if you experience problems with O

utlook 2010.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 59 of 109

Jump to solution

Can the rest of you (remaining) check this suggested build out and see if it does what you want. I know it has been held up a while  funny mine still at 131 build but that nornal with throttled releases.

Highlighted
DeepButi
Level 7
Message 60 of 109

Jump to solution

Still at 11.5.131 ... 78 days remaining to my (actually disabled) subscription renewal ... maybe McAfee will still do it on time. After all, what is a year to solve an known problem compared with the infinity of space?

(I guess there is no way to force the update without a full reinstall, right?)