For the last few weeks, all emails received from WordTips, Windows Tips, and Ask Leo have had [SPAM] at the front of the Subject line. Checking my ISP's server shows that [SPAM] must have been added on my PC, as it is not present on the server. Clicking "Mark as not Spam" in the McAfee Anti-Spam tab removes it, which suggests it was McAfee Total Protection that was responsible in the first place. The emails were not placed in the McAfee Anti-Spam folder - I assumed this was because the Rules I have set up took priority.
However, today I received an email from Ask Leo which WAS moved to the McAfee Anti-Spam folder. So when I clicked "Mark as not Spam", it was moved to my Inbox and I had to move it to my chosen folder manually. This has turned it from a mild irritation to an annoyance.
What can be causing this and is there anything I can do to stop it?
Using Outlook 2010 in Windows 7
Solved! Go to Solution.
Have you got the "Mark as Friend" option in the Outlook toolbar that used to be in Outlook Express? If you have, that might fix it.
McAfee seems to have changed its filtering rules recently, all the newsletters I was getting from the likes of ComputerWorld were arriving with either a [SPAM] or [PHISH] prefix and I had to mark them as "Not Spam". Eventually, doing that will teach the Anti-Spam program not to flag a sender, but it takes a while.
Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed that one. I've now clicked "Add Friend" for the last email from each of WordTips, Windows Tips, and Ask Leo and will have to wait and see if it has any effect.
Today, I received an email from WordTips and it was still flagged as spam. However, I still think you may have put me on the right track.
I found out how to view the friends list and was surprised to see that WordTips was missing, although Ask Leo and Windows Tips were there. So I went back to the most recent WordTips email and clicked on "Add Friend". When I viewed the friends list again, WordTips was there but Windows Tips was missing!
It was then that I realised that Windows Tips and WordTips had identical email addresses. If McAfee is checking the name as well as the email address, it would appear to be impossible to mark them both as friends. The solution (I hope) is to manually set up the entire domain as a friend, which I think I have now done. I only THINK I have done it as they are sent from one domain (send.aweber.com) on behalf of another - I have marked send.aweber.com as the friend.
I noticed that the Ask Leo newsletter also comes from send.aweber.com on behalf of Leo's address.
I will know in a few days whether this has worked. If not, I'll have to mark the "on behalf of" domains as friends.
Well that didn't work!
So now I have marked the "on behalf of" domain as a friend.
Oddly, although I have set it to mark the entire domain as a friend, it still insists on my entering a name. And it won't allow me to precede the domain name with @ despite the instructions saying it should be.
I'll just have to keep trying.