cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Emails sent with characters instead of original content

Recipients of some emails I send or forward tell me that the email they received is blank except for characters like 

愀쐢ɇ in the email instead of the content actually sent. I checked my "Sent" folder and they're right. Sent forwarded email (e.g. an email I forwarded to someone containing text, pictures, hyperlinks) in my McAfee Sent folder disclosed that the email content I sent or forwarded is gone and is replaced by 

愀쐢ɇ   This is not the first occurrence of this. 

Emails I'm forwarding should be safe and virus free if McAfee is performing effectively as it should have checked the email for viruses when it first arrived in my Inbox. So I don't understand the strange characters replacing intended email content. I like the idea of McAfee checking outgoing email for viruses. If it finds something then report it to the sender. Don't just send the email anyway with strange characters that make recipients think the email contains a virus.  

1) Why can't McAfee at least notify email senders with a pop-up notification or something that the email was sent or forwarded but without the intended content and with strange appearing characters before it lands in recipients' Inboxes. As a result, emails can be sent / forwarded not knowing there is nothing in the email received by the recipient. Don't often look at or review sent emails to make sure they are okay and shouldn't have to. Please fix this or let me know what I'm doing wrong.

2) I have McAfee Anti-Spam turned on so spam and junk email received by me from others ends up in the Anti-Spam folder. Does Anti-Spam have something to do with the strange characters showing up in my emails forwarded to others and if so how do I get it to stop checking outgoing email that results in recipients receiving a suspicious looking email?

Thank you.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Emails sent with characters instead of original content

Hello @smoothieusa 

We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please disable or remove Anti Spam add on and check if it works fine. Also, please let us know the Anti Spam, McAfee Anti Virus and Windows version on your computer.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted

Thank you for your response. After reading your reply, I have now turned off (unchecked) "Scan Outgoing Email" in Anti-Spam > Outgoing Email Scan" settings. Will try this first for awhile to see what happens before turning off Anti-Spam altogether. Seems to me turning off Anti-Spam defeats the purpose of the product and could lose the ability to have McAfee move spam or phishing emails to Anti-Spam folder in Outlook. 

As you requested, I have:

- Mcafee Total Protection version 16.0 R28

- Anti-Spam version 19.8.116

- Anti-Virus version: no such named component but the About settings do show VirusScan version 23.4.142

- Window 10 Pro version 20H2

Still think the program may need fixing so it doesn't send replacement emails with unusual characters and that the outgoing email scan program report such instances to the email sender without sending those unusual character emails. 

Will post again with an update after a trial period of having the outgoing email scan sub-component turned off.

Thanks again.

Highlighted

@smoothieusa 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly uncheck the option "Outgoing email scan" option from Anti-Spam settings and check if issue persists. 

Regards
Siva

Highlighted

Siva, please read my previous post. You are suggesting something that I already said I was going to do and did when the original McAfee support recommendation to turn off Anti-Spam wasn't even in the ballpark of this problem's resolution. See my comment above about my having unchecked the outgoing email scan option. Anyway, having turned it off on my own accord before hearing from you is resulting in emails being sent / forwarded normally without the strange characters appearing in lieu of the original text and pictures. The defective out-going email scan program needs fixing as it's messing up virus-free emails sent from Outlook when the option is turned on.  

Will consider this resolved after the outgoing email scan component is fixed and operating effectively. Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community