Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
N4AOF
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Absolutely Atrocious "Support" for McAfee Anti-Spam

Hmmm...   I decided to try the "Support Community" after finding that McAfee's professional support is absolutely atrocious (and that is being kind about it).   Now I find that the community forum software wants me to enter the "Associated Products" but the list of products that it accepts does not even include McAfee Small Business Security or anything even close, so I don't know what product they think this is - but that's the product name they have for my product subscription.  This disconnect seems entirely appropriate considering the level of incompetence I encountered last night.

I'm running McAfee Small Business Protection on each of my PC's -- the software was installed on these PCs over the last couple of days.  Last night I noticed that McAfee had suddenly started flagging some of my incoming emails as [SPAM].  I never asked McAfee to monitor my email but that is mostly because it never asked me if it should.  If the program installation had bothered asking, I probably would have turned on McAfee's anti-spam protection at least to see what it would do, but the installation never asked about protecting my email, it did ask about installing WebAdvisor on my browsers, but it never asked about any sort of anti-spam filtering for my email.

The [SPAM] marking that McAfee had added to the subject line of several emails caught my attention mostly because the first email where I saw this tag was absolutely not spam.  It was a newsletter from a large national organization I belong to.  Yes, the email newsletter includes links to some commercial products, both in the content and in some advertising, but the email is not spam. 

At first I didn't even know where the [SPAM] tag had come from because (as noted above) I didn't know McAfee was checking my incoming email for spam.  I figured out that the [SPAM] tag had been added by McAfee by checking the headers on the email message (yes, I can read email headers) and I found that McAfee had processed my incoming emails.

Once I knew that the [SPAM] tag had come from McAfee trying to examine my emails, I looked to see how to tell the McAfee software that this email was not spam.  After all, any decent filtering program has to include some sort of machine learning process to acknowledge mistakes, especially false positives.  I didn't see any way to tell McAfee that this particular email was not spam so I went to the McAfee website.  Still not finding anything quickly, I tried the support chat option to just ask what I thought would be a simple question: How do I tell McAfee that an email it flagged as spam is not spam. 

I had the silly idea that this would be a simple question with a simple answer.  But alas no!

I was quickly connected to a person (I won't mention her name).  Rather than answer my question, she wanted remote access to my computer.  I figured that McAfee was a large and reputable company so I expected their Technical Support people to be competent and professional.  I allowed her to access my computer remotely. 

At this point I should explain that the PC in question is an older desktop machine, still running Windows 7 and the email client is the rather ancient Microsoft Live Mail.  After watching the remote session I am convinced that the young lady had never seen either, certainly she had never seen Microsoft Live Mail.  I watched as she wandered around aimlessly, eventually finding the McAfee software where she turned off the Anti-Spam function entirely, then returned to wandering around my email client with no apparent goal or idea what she was doing.  Eventually I interrupted, told her she was obviously lost and I shut down the remote session.  I would have liked to have continued chatting to see if On and Off were really the only choices (I had seen other settings available when she was shutting off the Anti-Spam function) but stopping the remote access session also apparently shut down the chat session (either that or she did - I can't be sure which).

At this point, I was not satisfied with McAfee's notion of Technical Support, but at least shutting off Anti-Spam had stopped the symptom and I figured I could look for documentation and other settings some other time.  It was a little past midnight, so I didn't plan to do more about the problem right away.

But then... a few minutes later my phone rings.  This time it was a man (I will not call this man a "gentleman") calling from McAfee Technical Support about my problem.  He asked if I was using Microsoft Outlook, and I said that I was not using Outlook, on this PC. I explained that this PC was running Windows 7 and that the email client software was Microsoft Live Mail, which I admitted was a bit old.  He then told me that my problem was impossible because McAfee Anti-Spam only runs on Outlook and Thunderbird so I could not have installed it on Microsoft Live Mail.  He was both arrogant and insistent in telling me repeatedly that McAfee Anti-Spam could not be running in Microsoft Live Mail (I obviously know it was) and that I should not have tried to install it (I had used the default settings throughout the installation, and the installer program had never asked or told me anything about Anti-Spam).  Then this arrogant twit suggested that I let him remotely access my computer so he could see what was really going on. 

I told the arrogant twit that if McAfee could find someone who had ever seen Microsoft Live Mail and had some idea what he was doing, then they could talk to me about another remote session.  He then babbled something about needing a few minutes to check on something, but it was about 12:30AM so I just hung up the phone.  Fortunately this arrogant twit apparently got the hint and did not call again.

So, I am finished asking McAfee's so-called Tech Support about this issue.  For the moment, Anti-Spam is turned off and I can't really see any advantage to turning it back on if it is totally incapable of learning to recognize what is and isn't spam.  I came to the community forum both to share my very unsatisfactory experience and to see if perhaps anyone knows of any actual benefit to running McAfee Anti-Spam

12 Replies
Dustin_techie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Absolutely Atrocious "Support" for McAfee Anti-Spam

Maybe be a developer or someone who is an expert can help here

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 13

hello,

if i understand correctly you have Mcafee Small Business Security on your computers.

if this is correct you are currently in the Consumer support forum and therefore it has not such product.

for consumers it has Total Protection or Livesafe for example.

if you start at the community home page you can make the choice for Enterprise or Consumer support.

McAfee Support Community

maybe to look at the Enterprise support in your case perhaps ?.......

what you have experienced is certainly not what is common. the times that i had contact with mcafee live support it was certainly professional and never are they calling back without consent for doing so.

i hope you have noted the Service Request no. from the chat conversation you had so when needed the mods can look into this.

are you in the right place currently looking for help or do you need to do a posting in the Enterprise section ?

greetings

N4AOF
Level 7
Message 4 of 13

Well, I did get an email from someone at "Tier 2" about the problem, but that email wasn't very encouraging.   The email claimed that they had been trying to contact me at the phone number I gave but had been unable to reach me so they needed two good phone numbers and the best time to call with a two hour window within their hours.

The problem with this email is that the number they have is my home landline number and I have been home the entire time since the ticket was created.  The only way they could have tried to phone me without me answering would be if they made an unattended robo-call that was blocked by NoMoRobo.  Even blocked calls ring once, and there were no single ring calls the entire time.  Bottom line, the claim that they had tried to call me was false.

I gave them my number again, even though they already had it, and told them when to call (I won't be available until Monday), but I really don't see much point to a phone call.  If McAfee Anti-Spam includes a way for the program to be told about false positives whatever that method is ought to be simple enough to put the information in an email, or just send me a link to proper documentation for the McAfee Anti-Spam program.

So far I am being less and less impressed by McAfee so-called "Technical Support"

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 13

hello,

thank you for your reaction.

i understand your frustratng at this time looking for technical assistance.

but i like to ask again do you have an Enterprise product or Consumer product from Mcafee ?

i am also trying to contact a mod in this section to look at this aswell.

hope there comes a respons.

@Allwyn_GI  or @Madhan  can you assist here perhaps ?

N4AOF
Level 7
Message 6 of 13

@cyberdude wrote:

hello,

thank you for your reaction.

i understand your frustratng at this time looking for technical assistance.

but i like to ask again do you have an Enterprise product or Consumer product from Mcafee ?

i am also trying to contact a mod in this section to look at this aswell.

hope there comes a respons.

@Allwyn_GI  or @Madhan  can you assist here perhaps ?

Thank you.

I really don't know whether McAfee considers their "Small Business Protection" program an "Enterprise" product or not.  They certainly shouldn't consider it an "Enterprise" product as it has none of the centralized management tools that would normally be included in any true "Enterprise" product.

As for the callback being or not being authorized, they had permission for the callback because I gave them my phone number when the chat lady asked for a phone number where they could contact me if we got disconnected.  And I certainly did not object to the callback until the so-called technician proved he was both incompetent and arrogant by insisting that McAfee Anti-Spam could not possibly be running on my computer because the computer used Microsoft Live Mail, not Outlook or Thunderbird.

In any case, I doubt very much that there is any difference in the code for the "McAfee Anti-Spam" app included in any of their protection packages.

I still have a hard time believing that McAfee would release an "Anti-Spam" email filtering product without including some way to handle false positives.  On the other hand, given the level of incompetence displayed by both the Technical Support people I have spoken with, I'm beginning to wonder.

Fortunately the "Anti-Spam" function is not at all essential (or apparently even useful).  My only reason for pursuing this matter has been so see if perhaps there was some useful functionality that I wasn't seeing.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 13

hello,

thank you for your answer.

i think what the Mcafee technician was trying to say is that the Mcafee Antispam module is installed in your product.

but since you are using Windows Live Mail this program is not supported for this Mcafee Antispam module.

Mcafee Antispam is only working when using Outlook or Thunderbird mailprogram currently.

A spamfolder will appear in the mailprogram 

Maybe this info will help a little bit ?

N4AOF
Level 7
Message 8 of 13

@cyberdude wrote:

hello,

thank you for your answer.

i think what the Mcafee technician was trying to say is that the Mcafee Antispam module is installed in your product.

but since you are using Windows Live Mail this program is not supported for this Mcafee Antispam module.

Mcafee Antispam is only working when using Outlook or Thunderbird mailprogram currently.

A spamfolder will appear in the mailprogram 

Maybe this info will help a little bit ?

This information would help if it were true, but that's a problem.

I did a default installation of McAfee Small Business Protection.

McAfee's installed the Anti-Spam app installed itself (without asking) and is processing incoming email in Microsoft Live Mail, not Outlook or Thunderbird.

McAfee Anti-Spam did not create any new Spam folder(s), all it does is waste its time and mine by adding the flag [SPAM] at the front of the subject line of some emails that it thinks might be spam.

It is not even consistent in how it evaluates the emails.  Because I have multiple email accounts being handled in each session, I frequently receive identical emails at different addresses.  McAfee Anti-Spam marked four identical emails as [SPAM] but did not flag two more copies of the exact same email.

The product might be of some use, if it actually worked, but this trash isn't even ready for beta testing.  Adding [SPAM] to the front of the subject link is worthless - especially since I can recognize spam emails a lot more accurately than McAfee Anti-Spam does.

Apparently you are telling me that the product doesn't work because it isn't supposed to work with my email client.  If that is the case, then I ask you Why did McAfee install the Anti-Spam app into a program that they say it does not work with??   Let me repeat: I did only a default installation there were no prompts asking whether or not to install the Anti-Spam app.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

hello,

thanks for responding to my earlier answer.

i was only repeating what the mcafee technician has said.

when you install mcafee security it will install the antspam module by default

like other modules that comes with it

when you will be using a supported mailclient like Outlook or Thunderbird it will instal a toolbar in this program and creates an additional spamfolder.

since the mcafee technician has said that Windows Live Mail is not supported this toolbar is not installed.

all in all i hope a mod will step in for you to assist you with this further on.

since i am not familiar with small business edition.

if you google on mcafee small business security antispam you can look at some sevice docs that comes up from mcafee perhaps in the meantime.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 13

hello,

thinking the situation over one more time i would like to ask the following;

regarding that Windows Live Mail is not supported and therefore not installing a plugin for spam;

is it possible that the mailclient Windows Live Mail itself is classifying currently incoming mail for spam ?

or you Internet Mail provider perhaps ?

or did you have an other AV program on the computer than McAfee and remains of that other AV program are left behind and causing the problems perhaps ?

are the above mentioned suggestions perhaps a possibility that could cause the current problems ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community