cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block installations of Browser Hijackers such as Onelaunc

In the last week or 2 we've had a lot of users installing "ONELAUNCH" which is a chrome skinned browser on their computers you can download it from https://onelaunch.com/ but I've seen this be installed from multiple sites even some legitimate sites that use google advertising. While we could just prevent all installing of exes or just from the downloads folder we have multiple legitimate exes so we dont know the best practice for allowing that. Right now we just uninstall it right after they install it but would like to stop them from being able to install it at all.
6 Replies
IMarsh
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to block installations of Browser Hijackers such as Onelaunc

Hi User56386389

Can you be specific which McAfee product you are asking about so i can move this to the correct team?

If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

I'm not entirely sure, Which product would be best to block browser hijackers such as one launch.
It's basically a software that doesn't require admin rights to run. But for some reason it's not a virus and is legal even though they trick people into downloading and installing it.

I chose Advanced Threat defense because this in my opinion is a type of malware. Others may disagree.

but mcafee does not prevent it's installation or pick it up as a virus since it's by a legitimate scam company i guess.

IMarsh
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Hi User56386389

If the payload is no malicious, ATD will only give the file a non malicious conviction.  You can blacklist the hash in ATD manually through the CLI 
If it's a hash you want to block you can do this through TIE and this will block the execution on the end point.  The TIE support team can help you with this.

If you have MWG you can reach out to the MWG support team and see if you can block the file from being downloaded

If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Don't have the gateway, but i'll look into the other two options.

Even if the payloads not malicious, working in the healthcare industry anything that's being installed with out admin approval is in essence malicious cause it can be scanning our patient data.

I just dont understand why software that bypasses admin rights to install isn't by default viewed as malicious.

The products we use are :

Endpoint Security Platform

Endpoint Security Threat Prevention

Endpoint Security Adaptive Threat Protection

Endpoint Security Firewall

Endpoint Security Web Control

Which one would be the best product for blocking the hashes of these products?

Take these steps to prevent your browser from getting hijacked. Update Your OS and Your Browser Software. Use a Security-Conscious Alternate DNS Resolution Provider. Use Your Antivirus Software's 'Real-time Protection' Feature. Use Caution Before You Install Any Software From the Internet.

Official MyBPCreditCard

Thank you for your response. But these will not resolve the issue since it's not viewed as malicious by the antivirus software. Which is why i'm seeking alternative methods to block it using mcafees software.

I may also be misusing the term "browser hijacker" since it's essentially an unwanted chrome based browser.

"Use Caution Before You Install Any Software From the Internet."

Good suggestion, but again this is from admin side of the house. Any system administrator will tell you end users are like children you tell them not to do something and they will do it anyway

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community