1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 6:38 AM by zippy19601207 Go to original post
      • 10. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents

You are a star ... my McAfee Security Centre subscription was due to expire so, last evening I updated my subscription and upgraded to McAfee Total Protection ... dowload, removal of old version and installation of new software seemed to work well. Then, tried to open McAfee only to see the White Screen. On-line chat with McAfee support for a couple of hours, allowed remote access to my computer ... end result, instructions emailed to me for uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee products.  Problem ... normal Windows 7 Program unistall dialog totally blank ... stuck in the middle of nowhere ..! Thankfully, after many hours of Googling White/Blank screen, I came across this Forum and your comment.  Followed your instruction to uninstall Ie9 and, hey presto, it all appears to work again ... I use Chrome almost exclusively so won't fret over the removal of Ie9.  many thanks for your post.

• 11. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents
          exbrit

Didn't aupport offer to escalate the issue?  The reason I ask is that you really should have IE9.   We've found that often people fon't realise and some program they've downloaded has imported its own set of fonts and that is a sure way of causing this issue.  If you have that situation that could have been the cause.

IE9 is safer than IE8 and works fine here.  I just can't offer anything concrete on why it happens other than check fonts etc.   Make sure everything is default.   Especially IE because McAfee uses it to display the UI.

• 12. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents

Hi, thanks for your response.  Support suspected that the installation of the McAfee upgrade had become corrupted and that I should unistall and reinstall it. The last contact I had from Support was by email with instructions for the uninstall/reinstall.  Since the Windows Uninstall dialog was simply a White Screen, I was in an impossible situation.  My Windows 7 was totally uptodate and, prior to the McAfee update last night, everything was working fine, even the old McAfee Security Centre displayed properly. I take your point regarding IE9 being safer than 8 but, I prefer to use Chrome as my browser as, over the years, I have experienced a number of problems with IE. The bottom line is, that all of the McAfee software appears to be working properly and, I can now see the dialog in full and, the Windows dialogs.

• 13. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents
              exbrit

Might be worth your while to phone them actually and it's toll-free 0800 028 7581 just ask for Technical Support.  Because this will only happen again unless they solve the issue.

• 14. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents

Hi, unfortunately, hearing difficulties preclude my use of the phone but, I am in the process of emailing Tech Support with the details of the problem, their actions and the 'temporary' solution. At one stage their rep remotely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Java software on my computer, to no avail. I don't have any problem with the McAfee software, it has been pretty good so far  but, just looking at the threads on this community Forum and other Forums, this White Screen problems seesm to have existed for quite some time.  Seems like they should get together with Microsoft to help reolve it.  Just as an aside, I'm using 64 bit Windows on a 64 bit laptop and I've read various posts advising use of 32 bit IE and Java, tried both of those options but same White Screen.

• 15. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents
                  exbrit

Oh that's too bad, but at least you are in touch with them.  None of the Moderators have managed to reproduce this unfortunately and the only time we ever experienced it was in the early days if IE7.  You haven't installed any non-standard font have you?  That's another cause apparently.

• 16. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents

Hi, It is rather bizarre ... having worked in the software industry for more than 25 years (!!), I can certainly appreciate what can occur between Applications and Operating systems. As I said in my earlier post, the previous version of the McAfee software worked without problems on the same 64bit platform, even with the Windows updates, including IE9.  I haven't downloaded or installed any other software in the past few months, I think that Picasa was the last one, for Digital images and that was at least 6 months ago. Will keep you posted if I hear from Tech Support.

• 17. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents
                      exbrit

Thanks.  Let's hope it's solved sooner rather than later.

• 18. Re: looking for best white screen solution and my 2 cents

We had this problem on a new laptop running W7 SP1.

The fix was found by Mcafee tech support with remote access. It invloved updating IE9 and updating JAVA. Then deleting Mcafee with the dowloadable uninstaller (as the white screen problem stops you unistalling through the controll panel) ad then reinstalling.

I strongly suggest to those who have this problem to go via the phone tech support and to ignore the various fixes suggested online such as deleting and reinstalling fonts, fiddling with bios and deleting IE9.

As Ex-Brit says, maybe use a goog reg cleaner before reinstalling MCafee like CCleaner which seemes to be recommended.

1 2 Previous Next