Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
5535 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 6:16 PM by fazakstudios RSS
bratsche Newcomer 19 posts since
Jun 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2012 7:14 PM

Conflict between Total Protection and Adobe Flash Player?

Immediately following my last Total Protection automatic update, I started getting the following error message:

"Adobe Flash Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountered a problem and needs to close."

It's not McAfee Service Host this time, but it's eerily similar to that whole thing (I still have Netguard disabled from that). Is anyone else experiencing this? Could this indicate a conflict between Flash Player Update and the latest TP, given the timing? To my knowledge I have not had a recent update of anything Adobe.

I'm on a netbook with XP SP3 using Firefox 13.0.1.

Thanks for any light that someone might be able to shed...

• karthiks Veteran 740 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011

Hi bratsche,

In this case my suggestion to you is to reinstall the Adobe Flash Player ,may be that will help you to prevent the error message

Use this link to reinstall the Adobe Flash Player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Remove the Existing Adobe Flash player from Control Panel - > Add/remove programs before reinstalling the Adobe

Regards,
    Karthik Shankar
    McAfee Community Moderator
    https://community.mcafee.com

Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it with our product team in our new Ideas community space! NOTE: You must register an account first. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for choosing McAfee!

• fazakstudios Newcomer 3 posts since
    Jul 1, 2012

Hi, thought I'd make you aware that this is an on-going problem that has been reported on the Adobe forums.  Their Tech support have been alerted to the problem and have issued people with the following instructions......

[Quote]

15.                              Chris Campbell,                        Adobe Staff.

Employee Hosts                                                                                                              Employee Hosts                                                                                       

27-Jun-2012                        23:29   in reply to jwgarfield                       

For those affected by this bug, please visit this bug report and cast a vote for it being fixed:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3225162

I think we might be able to work around this by

1.       Opening the Flash Player control panel in the Windows control panels

2.       Selecting the Advanced tab

3.       Clicking “Change Update Settings”

4.       Choosing “Notify me to install updates”

Please give that a try and let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Chris[/Quote]

..........The original topic can be viewed here (no need to register with Adobe to read it)....... http://forums.adobe.com/message/4527646

Hope this is of help, as it clearly isn't a McAfee issue!!

Dave.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,334 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

I see 1 poster there says this was not a fix for the issue. Also this is not caused by Mcafee as implied by the OP correct? Do those posters on that forum all have TP?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,528 posts since
    May 6, 2004

I haven't see this issue either.  I don't think it's a McAfee issue and that Adobe Bugbase report seems to bear that out.  @fazakstudios, thanks for pointing that out.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/07/12 7:24:53 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    Jul 1, 2012

Everyone has different AV software, different Operating systems (XP Home/Pro, Vista, Win7, etc, 32-bit and 64-bit machines, different browsers, IE7-9, Firefox, Chrome, etc.  You don't even need to be viewing the internet for this error box to appear!!  I've had it appear when playing games, using Arcsoft Photo Studio software, etc.  The issue occured when the new 11.3 r300 update gave us the option to 'install updates (recommended)' and then we just saw that box over and over multiple times a day!!

I'm not using McAfee at the moment, and also have had this issue all week.  I have carried out the above 'fix' and also in the 'storage' tab I opened 'Local storage settings by site' and removed individual websites that I didn't know (there was quite a lot in my case).

So far, I've not seen the error box yesterday/today; as normally it would pop-up several times throughout the day - I very rarely turn my PC off!!

The bug report (containing other ppl's comments with the problem shows it is wider than and AV issue; and more of an Adobe Flash issue......  https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3225162

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Jul 1, 2012

lol, it's annoying isn't it!!  Have to say, since performing the above changes, well, fingers crossed I'm going into day 3 of no annoying pop-up box, so the workaround seems to be working for me!

Glad I could be of help, at least you know it's not McAfee/TP!!  The problem only started when Adobe added that new 'installation options' box for the latest update.  Think it was last Monday when it was released; and everyone has had the same problems since.  Of course, we all chose the 'recommened' option.  I guess we will see another 'update' rollout in the next week or so to correct the bug issue.

Dave.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points