Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2842 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 4:03 AM by ian3 RSS
ian3 Newcomer 6 posts since
May 30, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 30, 2012 3:07 AM

smart fortress removal

hi, the smart fortress virus invaded my pc. trying to find a way of getting rid is a problem. i have been trawling the net trying to find a solution and many say start up in safe mode with networking. the problem i have with that is that it just wont do it, it goes straight back to normal mode. if i carry on then it loads up but as soon as i reach the desktop a screen appears threatening to lockdown the pc if i dont pay £100 . it completely covers the desk top screen and i cannot get anywhere. does anybody else know of this problem, how do i cure it? if i load a cd disk up it is also hidden behind the malicous screen so cannot proceed further with that. meanwhile the box of paracetamol i have next to me is taking a real hammering....

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,365 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. May 30, 2012 3:51 AM (in response to ian3)
    Re: smart fortress removal

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3635

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-fortress-2012

These types of programs are hard to detect byt the above should help.

I am moving this post to top threats area as antivirus techs might monitor it as well.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,599 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    5. May 30, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to ian3)

Seems like you had a package of malware. Whatever infected you first probably contacted a C&C server to download other programs.

Going back to the earliest possible System Restore point was a good idea, but now you'll need to download updates from Microsoft and McAfee to catch up with where you should be. Also check Java if you've got it, Flash, Adobe Reader (well, everything from Adobe).

Malwarebytes will pick up a lot of infections, but it doesn't do viruses. Once you've got McAfee updates downloaded run a Quick Scan - Full Scan if you're feeling at all paranoid - and see what comes up. You could also run Stinger (from HERE) or GetSusp (from HERE) as a final reassurance. Then run a program like CCleaner to clear out temp files, cookies, cache, DNScache and so on. It has a 'check registry' option but use that with caution (Ex_Brit would say, not at all).

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,365 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    6. Jun 3, 2012 3:32 PM (in response to ian3)

Sorry in my haste missed your restore comment. Some other reading

Two malwares seems to be what smart fortress does see here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic455028.html

Also West yorkshire malware encrypts the files  read this as well. From what I gather you need an unencryption tool.

Best to download any programs on another PC.

There are several threads on this searching the forum search box and a blank "Restrict to group area" for west yorkshire police and look for solved (green symbol) ones such as

https://community.mcafee.com/message/235858#235858

Will ask another mod to review this

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/05/12 6:47:39 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/06/12 6:32:42 AM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• simonheh Newcomer 7 posts since
    Jun 2, 2012
    7. Jun 3, 2012 2:45 PM (in response to ian3)

Running XP and tried this fix but can't get it to work.  When do you start pressing Ctrl+Alt + Del?  Have been pressing keys rapidly as soon as windows xp logo appears. 

If I click on task bar to get task manager pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del Task Mgr doesn't appear but if I stop pressing keys and use mouse to click on task bar and click Task Mgr just get West Yorks screen eventually.

Also when did you press windows key?  Noticed that after West Yorks screen apears windows egg timer continues for a bit.  Using wireless keyboard and mouse would direct wired make any difference?  What am i doing wrong?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points