1 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next 521 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 5:35 AM by Ex_Brit Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • 170. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

The depressing thing about this issue is that it was reported as long ago as September 2010, when the suggested solution seemed to be to simply turn the Firewall off.

All sorts of reports since then with zero apparent action, or even serious interest from McAfee.

Since April this year there have been well over 100 posts on the issue and still we, or rather McAfee, are going round in circles.

We get assurance that the '... matter is being dealt with urgently ...' and so on but still nothing ever happens.  Perhaps McAfee has a different definition for 'urgently' than us lesser mortals.

Repeatedly in this thread the same comments seem to appear:

Turn the firewall off and it is fixed.  (In which case a refund for providing faulty goods would perhaps be in order)

It only appears on LAN, wired,  connections and not on wifi connections.

It seems to resolve itself after around 5 -10 minutes.

It only seems to appear, possibly at random, after a recent update, but that is clouded by the confusion between update version and date of installation.

Seems to me, as but a simple person, that there are more than enough clues, and there has been more than enough time for even the smallest of Technical teams to have resolved the issue.  Indeed, presumably McAfee employs rather larger teams than that so there is absolutely no excuse for the apparent indifference of McAfee.

As I posted earlier, look at the last version that appeared to be causing no problems and compare it with the troublesome version and look for the differences.

Looking at a recent survey in the May issue of PC Pro magazine where McAfee came bottom yet again, (as for the last 4 or 5 years), then perhaps as their technical prowess is suspect and their efficiency in 'malware and  virus detection' is well behind the market  there may be a strong case to find an alternative, but competent provider.

Shame to see a formerly proud reputation slowly falling into disrepute..

• 171. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

I'm growing more cheesed off by the day.  And, like alanrf, am starting to seriously wonder how good a job McAfee's software really does protecting my PCs.  If McAfee can make a mistake like this, what else have they got wrong?

• 172. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

alanrf wrote:

As I posted earlier, look at the last version that appeared to be causing no problems and compare it with the troublesome version and look for the differences.

Regression testing. 'Nuff said.

That said, I don't see the symptoms and presumably I got the update. Which is why I can't give any advice : I don't know what to advise.

• 173. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

I've been having this problem for about 2 weeks already and it's been real frustrating. I don't know if this has been posted already cause I didn't look at evey page but what I did was uninstall McAfee from add/remove programs, restart, run mcafee removal tool (you could find on mcafee website) and delete all mcafee folders in program files, restart, install mcafee again but do a custom install and uncheck to install firewall. Now everybody with Xp, Vista and 7 have built in windows firewall so that's what you could use. Once you've got mcafee installed just update and enable windows firewall and restart again. Since then my computer finds my network like it use too, as soon as my desktop appears after logon and no internet disconnections.

• 174. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

You have my sympathy and understanding over this issue, and your frustration is understandable.

Any intermittent bug can be a real pain to fix, as I know only too well from my own experience.

However, given that the issue has been demonstrated to exist, in various forms, over a considerable period of time it seems to be reasonable to expect a solution sooner rather than later.

McAfee did enough damage to their reputation after the  unfortunate bricking of XP boxes a couple of years ago and from that incident alone should perhaps have introduced more rigorous pre-testing procedures.  If they did, then they were clearly not rigorous enough.

One has to hope that they learn by experience!

The following links, and the comments from users included therein, make interesting, (depressing?), reading.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/357439/mcafee-update-cripples-windows-xp- machines

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/357520/mcafee-to-pay-for-pc-repairs-after-p atch-fiasco

• 175. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

After a month of waiting for a fix I uninstalled Mcafee from my PC. I then reinstalled it without the firewall app and this solved the problem. I am now using Windows firewall instead of Mcafee's. This will work out for me because my Mcafee app is provided free of charge from my ISP. So, I don't feel like I'm losing anything by using the Windows firewall instead. That being said, if I had personally paid for my Mcafee subscription I would be quite upset. I am not impressed with Mcafee's response to this ongoing problem. Honestly, based on Mcafee's history in resolving other problems this could literally take years to resolve.

I would recommend that everyone experiencing this problem to do what I did to end the frustation. Then, when your subscripstion with Mcafee expires do not renew it. Go with another product.

• 176. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

On May 4th, I had a 24 hr take home exam for a  Spring Semester Course. The exam required extensive paper searches that could only be performed via the internet. This exam was essentially a 24 hr sprint. You catch up on sleep later.

You guessed it, my connection started to drop on a regular basis. I spent half of my time figuring out how to stay on line and not suprisingly, ended up with a lower grade than I could have achieved without all the downtime.

Then I found out that my laptop was still connecting. Only difference with my disconnected DeskTop was that the LapTop had to be rebuilt recently, due to a Virus McAfee did nothing to intercept (and no help cleaning up either), and I had not reloaed McAfee on the Laptop yet.

So I tried and disabled the Desktop McAfee Firewall, and sure enough: Connected again.

Then found this thread which seems to confirm my suspiscion. Thank you.

Not too sure what McAfee is good for anymore. No help protecting the LapTop from viruses, and so eager to protect my Desktop that it cut me off from the Internet....and a decent grade!

Looks like many are quite happy just using the MS Firewall. Will give that a try.

PS: McAfee is also slowing down my PC to an unacceptable level when scanning! Will look for a thread on that too.  I ran their "Technician" and it helped for a few weeks, but relapsing now.

Thanks again for all the pointers in this thread.

• 177. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

'Disconnected' wrote Not too sure what McAfee is good for anymore. No help protecting the LapTop from viruses,

Doesn't surprise me. In a recent UK comparison test of AV packages McAfee came bottom, again!  It only found just over 50 % of infections and malware.   Even the free packages gave results in the mid nineties.  Time, perhaps to look around the market place.

While I'm posting here though a further observation on this issue which looks like never being resolved before my own renewals come up

I may well be off the mark here but it seems that what happens on my box is as follows;

When boot up is finished there is no network connection and the following settings, when I run ipconfig /all, appear among others:

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : (Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

When I use the ipconfig /release process I see more or less the same readings, (less the 'Preferred'),  which suggests that somewhere in the boot up process the address is released and is not then renewed, or at least not for some  time, usually around 5 - 6 minutes.

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . :

When I run ipconfig /renew those readings change to the following and I have a live connection

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :

I know the is a Microsoft fall back value when it can't find anything else.  Presumably that is because the firewall, or somesuch is blocking everything.

As I have written before this is even more frustrating because it doesn't happen on any of my other boxes.

on 3/06/12 7:03:51 PM
                      • 178. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

It actually just keeps getting better.....went to do the manual update from:

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx?regi on=us

and the virus DAT is .....'File not found' !!!!

So we can't even keep the bits that do appear to work up to date!

• 179. Re: Firewall blocking internet connection

Just did that and got 6719xdat.exe no problems

1 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next