9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 2:01 PM by shadygeorge RSS

I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.

shadygeorge

A few weeks ago, my internet connection crashed with a 'Unknown network, can't connect to the internet' error.  After a very fraught weekend, I finally deleted McAfee virus protection, and the connection was restored.  I then downloaded and ran AVG free anti virus software and everything was fine.  I should explain that I am a software dveloper who relies on the internet to ply my trade.  I then bought a new computer (A sony VAIO - wonderful machine, with TREND Titanium AV software pre installed.), as this was scheduled for me.  After a few days setting up my new machine, I decided to get in touch with McAfee support to inform them about the problem, and t see what could be done.  That's when my trouble really started.

I went into the live chat to start the ball rolling, and I was answered by a person (I can't remember their name), who was not concerned in the slightest about what I was trying to say, but only in finding my account and confirming that I was a customer.  He finally confirmed that my email was correct, but still wasn't interested in what I had to say.  I decided to cut my losses, and go to the email support. (As I didn't get any help from the live chat, as a knee jerk, I went to the Escalation screen and raised that as well).

I then got an email in return asking me to (again) confirm who I am, where I live and when they could call me - I answered this that they could call me next week, provided all the other details, and sat back and waited.

Then I got an email from the escalation team asking me for all me details again, and this time the last four of my credit card.  The person also said, (and I quote) "Your account has been verified against your email address, but we are unable to locate any account."  If they verified it, how come they couldn't  locate it?  by now I'm beginning to lose it a little.

Then I got another email from customer service to say that they had got all my details, thanks very much, and they would contact me next week at the time specified to talk to me anbout it.

Half an hour ago (not next week as they said), I got the call back.  When I said that they were due to call me next week, he just tried to get me to tell him what day, would not listen to what I was trying to say, and eventually rung off.  How Rude.

You may notice a thread running through all this.  Not once has customer service and support been intersted in my original problem!  So much for a caring support We're supposed to get!

By the way you guys at McAfee, your support out sourcing isn't working.  You might like to think this through again.  I would be very interested to hear of anyone else's experiences.

• 1. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
          Peacekeeper

Any SR job numbers you can post here. I will flag this post. I assume your account is still active ie within subscription?

Why the credit card numbers bets me support is free.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/03/12 3:42:04 PM
          • 2. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
            Lakshmanan Sathyamoorthy

Even i never heared that the McAfee support will ask the credit card details

• 3. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
              shadygeorge

Here' s an extract from the email they sent me (names have been redacted to protect the innocent, and all text in Italics is mine)

Dear XXXXX XXXXX (Name redacted)

Thank you for contacting McAfee Executive Escalations Team.

I understand that you have been informed that you do not have an account with McAfee and would like to assure that your computer is protected and also would like to get call back regarding this issue.

I would be happy to help you to resolve this issue.

Your account has been verified with the email address (email address redacted) but I was unable to locate any account.

George, I verified your records and found that you already contacted our McAfee customer service and as per your concern we already scheduled a call back to you. Please be informed that you will get call back from McAfee within 24 hours.

George, also to trace your account with McAfee subscription, we need to ask a few questions to establish account ownership. Kindly provide as many details as possible; it will give us better insight on the nature of your issue and help us providing quicker resolution.

If you are using online subscription:

1. Last four digit of credit card number

2. Order number

3. Billing address

4. Additional email addresses.

If you are using CD version:

1. Your 25 digits activation code (that can be found on the backside of your CD envelop)

2. Exact product name

3. Date of installation/registration

4. Additional email addresses.

If you are using pre-installed version:

1. Manufacturer name of your computer

2. Offered McAfee subscription period (If possible, please attach proof of purchase)

3. Date of shipment of your computer.

4. If you are getting any error message, please let us know the exact error message.

If you have purchased Dell computer with pre-installed McAfee products, please provide us:

a. Dell Service Tag (It is 7 digit alphanumeric characters. Please check at the back side of your computer)

b. Dell Order Number

c. Dell Customer Number

d. Dell purchase Id

e. Country in which you are located.

To avoid further delays, I would recommend you to contact our customer service team through phone by dialing  866-622-3911 and select IVR option 4, they will assist you. Our business hours are between 8am- 8pm CST throughout the week.

853064325 is the Service Request number for this issue. Please quote this number if you need to contact us with further questions.

For all your future Service and Support needs, please visit http://service.mcafee.com.

Thank you for contacting McAfee Executive Escalations Team!

Sincerely,

Raghunathan. S

McAfee Executive Escalations Team

Safe online? Avoid dangerous web sites using McAfee SiteAdvisor? ? a FREE download from http://www.siteadvisor.com?cid=27092.

Don?t search or surf without it!

Is this bureacracy gone daft or what?  this person is so far up his own fundament,  he is beginning to think he is really more  important than his Mcafee customers.

George

Message was edited by: shadygeorge on 22/03/12 02:43:37 CDT

Message was edited by: shadygeorge on 22/03/12 02:44:44 CDT
              • 4. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
                Peacekeeper

NO SR number in the subject it should have had 1 somewhere

• 5. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
                  shadygeorge

Tony, It's not really about numbers, it's about the lousy way McAfee treats their customers. In fact one of the SR's (slow responses?) i have is 484570-852553947.  I don't understand the rabid way that the service people want to gather information rather than hand it out!

George

• 6. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
                    Peacekeeper

The numbers help my contacts to look into what is going on. I have asked that they try to help and to see where they can improve.

I am only a unpaid helper here with no Mcafee affilation

• 7. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
                      shadygeorge

oh right, sorry mate.

• 8. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
                        JaiPrakash

Hi George,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused here  ; however with the ticket no provided, we traced that your case is now with the upper level support of McAfee . So, you would be offered a call back as promised next week as you requested and they would be addressing your concerns.

Regards,

• 9. Re: I am getting terrible service from McAfee support.
                          shadygeorge

Thanks Jai.  I hope they don't spend twenty minutes discussing who I am, and if I have an account.

George