Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
24505 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 4:32 AM by Peacekeeper RSS
csdclark Newcomer 1 posts since
Mar 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 4, 2012 1:44 PM

Security Shield Virus. Help Please!

My computer was infected with the Security Shield virus. I tried many of the suggestions using this:

Removing my security shield (unistall guide) found at Bleepingcomputers.com

Installed the rkill found nothing, installed malwarebytes detected nothing.

This was all done in safe mode. I could not do a thing if I was not in safe mode, I would just get the virus pop ups.

I did a Mcafee GetSusp and this is what I recieved for info for suspicious files.

arcmonitor.ex_not_detected Unknown

Issrvc.ex_not_detected Unknown

vjdtwjbin.ex_beta_detectedfakealert-securitytool.ea

I finally did a system restore which seemed to work but my computer is now very slow and I am wondering if the virus is still attached to files. How would I find that out. Also the Mcafee will not stay turned on.

If infected files are still on my computer how do I find and delete them?

Thanks,

csdclark

• newjack Veteran 1,172 posts since
    Dec 5, 2009
    1. Mar 7, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to csdclark)
    Re: Security Shield Virus. Help Please!

You should go back to bleeping computer & rerun the Instructions just to be safe.Go into Safe mode with Networking Download 1 of the named RKill files.Run Rkill.It will run for a few minutes.when It completes.It will pop up with a Log.Do not reboot Until Rkill completes & you have updated & run Malwarebytes.If Rkill will not finish run Ir again.If not download 1 of the other renamed Rkill files & run again.When It is finished.Update & run a full Scan With Malwarebytes.If for some reason you are having connection problems Make sure to read the Bleeping comp instructions about checking your Lan connections for your Browser.This should work.Good Luck.

• pcchick Newcomer 5 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    2. Mar 14, 2012 10:04 AM (in response to newjack)

Hello - I too had problems with the instructions on Bleeping.com. Even after I was able to figure out what they suggested I do I found it very confusing with every other word being underlined popping up an ad on my screen.

Anyways- I downloaded rkill and mbam and both of those programs let me down and did not work. I renamed the files as well and still nothing.

I went back to the web and found the Spyware Help Center and they had a page about removing the Security Shield virus and step by step instructions that were very easy to understand. Within minutes the program I downloaded (in safe mode) removed the virus and completely resored my computer back to normal.

Here is the page that has the instructions to remove security shield: http://www.spywarehelpcenter.com/security-shield-virus-removal-instructions/

It has been 3 days and my computer is still running perfect! I have since upgraded to all the McAfee security products and will not risk this from happening to me again.

I hope this helps you guys!

THANKS McFee!!!!

Message was edited by: pcchick on 3/14/12 10:04:29 AM CDT
  • wsmith1984 Newcomer 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2012
    3. Mar 15, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to pcchick)

I couldn't get the recommended program from spywarehelpcenter to remove any viruses without paying first.

WSmith

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,602 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    4. Mar 17, 2012 1:18 AM (in response to wsmith1984)

No, I don't suppose you could. I don't recommend the program that pcchick was trying to point you towards.

Have you seen the removal instructions provided by BleepingComputer (HERE)? This site is one of the more reliable and trusted malware-removal sites, and their advice (like their removal programs) is free.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • madatmcafee Newcomer 1 posts since
    Mar 17, 2012
    5. Mar 17, 2012 1:12 PM (in response to csdclark)

I have had McAfee online protection for years but I too still have several unhappy encounters with Security Shield malware.  I have found two ways to combat Security Shield.  One, as soon as the message pops ups that the website is saying your computer is at risk and Security Shield starts to load, just reach for the power switch and turn your computer off immediately.  When you turn the computer back on you may have a few cranky programs because they weren't shut down properly but those problems fix themselves.  If Security Shield manages to get itself installed, use the power switch to turn your computer off.  When you turn your computer back on, start tapping the F8 key to get you to the Safe Mode startup screen.  Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and then press Enter.  When the computer starts in Safe Mode it generally already has a help screen open and just scroll until you find System Restore.  Start System Restore and wait - it takes a little while for it to go into action.  When it comes up, pick the last restore point date PRIOR to Security Shield getting on your computer and let System Restore do its thing.

So far, System Restore has always worked for me for getting rid of Security Shield if it got a foothold before I got my computer turned off.

The question I have for McAfee is this malware has been around for years; why can't McAfee stop it from getting on my computer.  If McAfee is allowing this to get on my computer, what other less obnoxious malware/spyware programs is McAfee allowing to get through.  I run frequent scans with other security products, such as PC Tools Spyware Doctor, and these other programs always find lots of stuff McAfee isn't finding.

I'm thinking McAfee has gotten to the point they are too big and too concerned with the bottom line.  My McAfee subscription recently expired and when I purchased a new multi-year subscription I found that a home subscription no longer applied to all computers on our home network where in years past the subscription was always good for I think it was up to 5 computers.  I had to pay more money for the additional computers and spend probably about 3 hours on line with Tech Support over a couple of sessions to get everything straightened out.  The Tech Service guys were great but overall McAfee is getting to be a pain.  Will probably look at some other online security program wihen my current subscription is up.

• tonb Newcomer 1 posts since
    Mar 21, 2012
    6. Mar 21, 2012 4:07 AM (in response to madatmcafee)

Yesterday I was also victim of this Security Shield virus and did a quick scan by McAfee, but NOTHING irregular was found while the Security Shield-messages drove me MAD. I am unpleasant surprised why McAfee do not react on this nor did the security works to prevent it from entering my computer. This virus already exist for YEARS !!

Through wiki i found SpyHunter4 and I installed this and let it run. Immidiately it found the Security Shield virus. Unfortunately you have to buy it to help you futher, but actually it gives the defined adres on my pc where to find the exe-file of this virus. So i deleted this among some other malware what was found.

After this i close PC and started again and: wow ! pc was/is clean till now !   But because despite all the attributes i bought from McAfee, I also keep the free SpyHunter4 search-tool on my pc till the next incident. 

The secure-feeling with McAfee start to cranck ...

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,357 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    7. Mar 21, 2012 4:32 AM (in response to tonb)

I would run stinger and the bleeping computer suggestions just to be sure.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points