Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
125022 Views 209 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 8:38 AM by Ex_Brit RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Previous Next
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,347 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    140. Feb 12, 2011 2:33 PM (in response to bixxell)
    Re: Very slow "full scan"

First uncheck the use minimal resources. Do you need the external drive scanned? If not have it un connected when scanning. Will look further.

Also you all posted in 2009 version what version of VS have you?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/02/11 6:33:45 AM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• BengalTigger Newcomer 7 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    141. Feb 12, 2011 4:21 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

I suspect that Cox's server farm has an old version on at least one of their servers.  The first time I downloaded, it installed an old version and clicking the help > support brought me directly to this forum.   They recommended I uninstall and reinstall and it then downloaded a completely different (much newer) version which has been performing much faster.

Nov 23, 2002
    142. Feb 12, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to BengalTigger)

Ok that would be 2010 version VS 14

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• meld Newcomer 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2012
    143. Mar 14, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to BalaSGS)

Hi Bala, Hope you are still monitoring. I now run McAfee on windows 7 It ran perfectly under Vista - which I got rid of for other performance issues. Now I am experiencing very slow full scan run times to the stage that I cannot use my computer without shutting down and restarting with the scan incomplete. Over the last week  had two live chats sessions with McAfee, deleted sypware, uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee twice but the problem continues. Had a call back from level 2 help in McAfee who stated that there was nothing else they could do and that it sounded like corrupt windows files (problem always appeared at around 60% complete and in C:\windows\system32........stage of the scan.

I notice from other comments, expecially Bixxell back in 2009, that there is file called "windows.old" which causes the problem. Firstly, why didn't any of the three contacts I've had with McAfee tell me about this, and secondly where exactly to I find this file in Windows 7 so I can safely delete it?

Looking forward to this problem being fixed

• bixxell Newcomer 7 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    144. Mar 14, 2012 8:12 PM (in response to meld)

Here is a link about deleting the "windows.old" file.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-fold er

The virus scan worked well for a long time after I deleted the "windows.old" file, but, over the last year or so, it has gotten to the point where it takes three days or more to finish a full scan.  I called McAfee and eventually got the "corrupt windows files" answer, too.  Everything else on my computer works fine, so I think they use the "corrupt windows files" answer because they don't know what the problem is and don't want to say it's their fault.

I think I will try a different virus scan service when my year is up in a few months.

• meld Newcomer 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2012
    145. Mar 15, 2012 2:04 AM (in response to bixxell)

Thanks Bixxell, will try the deletion process and run a new scan. Will post the results later

Nov 23, 2002
    146. Mar 15, 2012 4:47 AM (in response to meld)

Something to also look out for is a folder in windows called checksur\v1.0 all the files in that seem to slow the scan and the PC down. Just delete the folder.

Any zip files also slow it down as do win 7 backup files there are 100s of small zip files that slows the scan. Note that with 2011 version Sc 11 you cab exclude folders and files from custom and scheduled scans.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

• yeahbut Newcomer 53 posts since
    May 2, 2012
    147. Aug 21, 2012 1:54 PM (in response to reyesmvp)

Apparently McAfee has designed the full scan for speed and it hoses up computers that do not keep up. My sucess with a custom scan I believe is because it has a default setting to use minimal resources. This keeps the full scan from hosing my computer and slowing it down to a crawl. If it looks frozen it will take too long.

Sorry Peacekeeper, but the only setting I'm unchecking is the full scan and hitting Dismiss.

Message was edited by: yeahbut on 8/21/12 1:54:01 PM CDT
    Nov 23, 2002
    148. Aug 21, 2012 4:17 PM (in response to yeahbut)

What is your PC cpu and ram? Large zip files do hose mine even sometimes. Add that thought as an idea see my sig I will support it as would others

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

• yeahbut Newcomer 53 posts since
    May 2, 2012
    149. Aug 21, 2012 8:41 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Mine is a 2g AMD with 1.5g ram on two computers. I don't scan zip files, maybe I should. And I haven't had other scans hose me up like McAfee's does on Full scan.

Message was edited by: yeahbut on 8/21/12 8:41:08 PM CDT
1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)