2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2012 12:34 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

System Check Trojan

amydenise

I am a new user and do apologize if I am posting this incorrectly. Today my computer has been infected by the "system check" Trojan.  McAfee says it removed it but still my desktop is black and the "system check" control panel is still on my screen.  I have found my desktop icons but need to remove "system check" from my computer.  Can anyone help?  I'm running windows 7, 64 bit.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

• 1. Re: System Check Trojan
          k3tg

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting is a document published by McAfee to assist customers with virus and malware issues. Please be sure to follow the recommendations in the document and run the McAfee Stinger scan.

In the event the issue still persists you may want to try to run the free version of this program by dowloading and checking for the lates updates. www.malwarebytes.org run the scan and let it clean everything it may find and reboot the computer when prompted.

It is probably a good idea to rename the download and installation files to something you can easily remember as virus malware has a tendency to self protect itself. When you rename the files they no longer see them as a threat thus allowing the downloading and installation to proceed.

Let us know if this gets you back up and running and good luck.

• 2. Re: System Check Trojan
            Ex_Brit

Hi, I moved this to a more appropriate section.    There's an excellent removal guide here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check but scroll down the page as the first links you see are all advertising which helps BleepingComputer provide this kind of support.

There is also a McAfee tool called Stinger which is linked, with others, on this page I created:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

When you are finished with it, uninstall as a fresh installation is required for each use - it's updated frequently but not live on your computer.