Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1482 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 12:27 PM by gstam RSS
safebootninja Newcomer 8 posts since
May 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2011 12:23 PM

EEFF 4.0 Delayed Write Failure

Over the last month my team has been testing EEFF 4.0 in hopes that it will allow for a smooth deployment throughout our environment. EEFF 4.0 has many improved features over the EEM managed version (3.2.x) that have allowed for greater flexibility and policy management.

Recently during our testing, we have encountered an odd issue that we have had a tough time logging, troubleshooting, and fixing; a Windows write delay error that seems to only occur when EEFF 4.0 is installed. Here is the error message we have been receiving (notification from system tray):

"{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file xxx”

When this error occurs, all reads and writes to/from any local or external media fail which is why this issue has been so difficult to pin down. Also, the issue is not consistently reproducible and the only common configuration between the systems that have experienced this failure is that they were upgraded from EEFF 3.2.6 (about 10 in total out of a 100 node test deployment).

The only fix that we have found at this point is uninstalling EEFF 4.0.

We currently have an escalated ticket open with McAfee support and have been waiting for some time for a succinct answer. I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

• rreynolds Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    1. Mar 8, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to safebootninja)
    Re: EEFF 4.0 Delayed Write Failure

We have the same problem during our rollout.  I thought it was EEPC (since the errors are related to writing to the hard drive), though we have EEFF installed as well.  Did you ever get this problem resolved?

• rreynolds Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    3. Jun 6, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to safebootninja)

I was told they were releasing a new version and they thought it might help.  I have removed EEFF from the workstations with this issue and I haven't redeployed it with the newer version yet.

Since we have workstations crashing in only one department, I was able to query our software database for applications that unique to that organization.  I found the following installed on the computers that have been crashing and nowhere else:

IBM CICS Universal Client
    IBM Personal Communications
    PKZIP for Windows

You don't happen to have any of these applications installed on the machines you are having difficulties with, do you?

• gstam Newcomer 23 posts since
    Nov 9, 2012
    5. Feb 7, 2013 12:27 PM (in response to safebootninja)

Safebootninja, we are experiencing something similar - very sporadic write delay errors when writing to C:. No data can be written to the drive after this, so of course there is nothing in the event logs and eventually the box will blue screen. It only occurs on XP boxes with EEFF installed. We have a combination of 3.2.6, 4.0.0.40, and 4.0 patch 1 (with and without HF 820173). I don't know if we've ever seen this on SBCE 3.x but it happened to 2 machines with 4.0 and all updates (including HF820173) just last week. We do not use 4.1 and can't upgrade at this time.

We aren't convinced EEFF 4 is causing this, although it definitely is a factor as it does not happen without that SW installed. We've had to stop deployment of the product and have spent months on this, complete with a ticket with Microsoft, onsite visits from McAfee engineers, and assistance from Dell.

We can identify no cause or commonality between the affected systems, and it can be months between incidents. Microsoft asked us to collect a kernel dump but we could not reproduce the error using McAfee-supplied test scripts although we tried for many weeks on more than 1 machine.

We use XP SP3 on most of our systems, and that is where the error occurs. We have a percentage of users on W7 professional and have never seen this error on those platforms.

Microsoft recommended a HF for NTFS.sys but it did not help.

For completeness I will mention we use EEPC 5/6 but don't think that has any influence. Oddly we aren't even using EEFF for anything other than removable media encryption - no files or folders on the hard drive should be touched by EEFF. That's what EEPC is for.

It would be great to know if anyone has had any insight to this. We may have to abandon EEFF and go with another product but would rather not. However, business needs mandate encryption so we're going to have to solve these errors or come up with another solution.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points