Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
224925 Views 70 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 8:13 AM by Ex_Brit RSS Branched to a new discussion. 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
cdonley Newcomer 3 posts since
Mar 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2012 8:32 AM

Security Shield virus removal help

I just got infected for the second time with Security Shield virus.  I have an active McAfee service that is included with my ATT/yahoo email Uverse service.  I would think that this is exactly what I purchased/used the McAfee for.  Why has it gotten through and how can i get it off of my computer!!!?

• newjack Veteran 1,172 posts since
    Dec 5, 2009
    1. Mar 8, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to cdonley)
    Re: Security Shield virus removal help

If you follow this guide It should remove this.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-my-security-shield  Run Rkill from the link wait till its finished.Dont reboot.Then Download Update Malwarebytes.Run full scan & delete any thing found.Then Reboot.

• newjack Veteran 1,172 posts since
    Dec 5, 2009
    3. Mar 8, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to cdonley)

From what I have heard Probabley Not.Word has it that most antivirus vendors don`t do a good job with these Rogue types.always Keep an on demand spyware scanner like Malwarebytes free On your Pc.If you go to the security awareness page there are a whole list of Things you can Use.There are also Site that analize Hijack this Logs on the Guide.here is the Link to that.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Message was edited by: newjack on 3/8/12 12:21:17 PM EST
  • bouncer Newcomer 5 posts since
    Mar 23, 2012
    4. Mar 23, 2012 11:33 AM (in response to cdonley)

I'm with you, Donley.  This virus is almost ten years old now and McAfee acts like they have never heard of it.  I got it a couple of days ago despite having McAfee Total Protection installed, and I have the same question:

WHY DO WE BUY MCAFEE TOTAL PROTECTION IF THEY DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO EVEN MENTION A PERVASIVE TEN YEAR OLD VIRUS ON THEIR WEBSITE, LET ALONE PROTECT US FROM IT OR PROVIDE ADVICE ON HOW TO REMOVE IT!

This is terrible, terrible service from a company I thought I could trust.

By the way, after a full day of fighting Security Shield, following all the steps here and everything else on the web, I finally just restored my Windows 7 to the last known good checkpoint, and problem is solved.

MCAFEE, SHAME ON YOU!

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,587 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    5. Mar 23, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to bouncer)

bouncer wrote:

I'm with you, Donley.  This virus is almost ten years old now and McAfee acts like they have never heard of it.  I got it a couple of days ago despite having McAfee Total Protection installed, and I have the same question:

WHY DO WE BUY MCAFEE TOTAL PROTECTION IF THEY DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO EVEN MENTION A PERVASIVE TEN YEAR OLD VIRUS ON THEIR WEBSITE, LET ALONE PROTECT US FROM IT OR PROVIDE ADVICE ON HOW TO REMOVE IT!

This is terrible, terrible service from a company I thought I could trust.

By the way, after a full day of fighting Security Shield, following all the steps here and everything else on the web, I finally just restored my Windows 7 to the last known good checkpoint, and problem is solved.

MCAFEE, SHAME ON YOU!

First of all it's not 10 years old and secondly all antivirus software, no matter what brand, has problems stopping these things, because a) they require user interaction to activate them (even clicking the 'X' to dismiss them causes that) and b) in order to prevent such things the heuristic detection engine (detection of unknowns) would have to be cranked up so high that the software would eventually cause your computer to grind to a complete stop because everything would be suspect.   Hence the variety of independent software out there specialized in removal of these pests.

Such as those suggested in this excellent removal guide:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-shield  scroll down the page as the first links are adverts.

McAfee, like Norton, Kaspersky and so on, has a specialized tool such as Stinger which is updated daily for such things as this.  It along with some good (free) 3rd Party Tools is listed here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

By the way, I moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance, for better attention.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    Mar 23, 2012
    6. Mar 23, 2012 12:18 PM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Peter, I think I first got this virus about 6 or 7 years ago.  I used a Norton removal tool that time, and it worked.  I'm sure the virus has evolved some since then.  Also, I don't think there was any "user action" that triggered it - I'm pretty aware of these kinds of things, and I could not remember a "click" that I should have avoided - if I did something wrong, it was very inadvertent.

Like I said, this time around I worked on removal all day with no success.  Stinger did nothing.  Norton's removal tool did nothing.  Microsoft's malicious software removal tool did nothing.  Malwarebytes did nothing.  Bleeping Computer's manual instructions were useless - none of the filenames or registry entries matched up.

Why doesn't McAfee at least list this threat?  Or provide a manual workaround?  Or suggest reverting to an earlier checkpoint?  PRETENDING THE PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST, AND DOING NOTHING, IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AND I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN MCAFEE.

I understand you are a volunteer, and you (MUCH to your credit) are attempting to help McAfee's customers.  No criticism of you, Peter.  But I am being honest as a consumer, I think McAfee (and frankly, the other leading anti-virus companies too) should not be allowed to say "Oh, that's not an easy one so we will pretend it doesn't exist."  And just leaving it to volunteer moderators instead of facing the problem is pretty lame in my book.

Yes, MCAFEE, I'm upset, and so is everybody who runs into this situation.  Offering to clear a virus for a hundred bucks after you have failed to prevent it in the first place is not a good business model!  If you have to charge more to do the job right, then do it - just don't pretend you are TOTAL SECURITY.

Mar 23, 2012
    7. Mar 23, 2012 12:25 PM (in response to bouncer)

By the way, you suggested https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168.

I wish this resource had been available to me when I was trying to solve my problem. 

Security Shield is a very pervasive virus.  When a user searches "Security Shield" in McAfee's website, he/she should be able to find the resources that will help!.  McAfee should not expect its customers to be able to find deeply buried documents independently,  

I know you have a tough job McAfee.  But if you can't take the heat - either raise your prices and your service level, or get out of the anti-virus kitchen!

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,587 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    8. Mar 23, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to bouncer)

There are literally thousands of these things out there under many different names and they change constantly.   You used a Norton tool way back then, so did you give McAfee Stinger a chance this time?

These things aren't listed like other infections for the simply reason that they aren't really viruses but rather cleverly thought out browser exploits.

You may not think you interracted with it, but it just takes the most minor action sometimes.  I've experienced them and with a quick Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager and ending of  any unknown processes + explorer.exe, then a reboot into Safe Mode to invoke System restore, have managed to thwart then effectively thus far.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • changa Newcomer 2 posts since
    Mar 31, 2012
    9. Mar 31, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Hi all,

I only just registered with the Community because I too have had my computer infected with Security Shield.

I did numerous searches on the McAfee site....nothing. The only help I got was via this forum. I just downloaded "Stinger".........there's just one little problem. Security Shield won't allow Stinger to open because - surprise, surprise - it says it's infected with something and is prevented from opening.

I'm not that savvy with the net, and I'm struggling a bit with how to get rid of Security Shield, but I have to be honest.....I'm stunned that I couldn't get any information to help me from checking my own Virus Software website.....a reputable company at that. There's all the reasons in the world I guess, but I reckon if you told anyone at all, they'd be stunned as well.

In any case, I'm right now in the process of running the PC in Safe Mode and Stinger seems to be doing something.....already says it's deleted some "Fake Alerts". Hopefully it'll be all good.

Peter

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points