Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
294018 Views 509 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 1:12 PM by Ex_Brit RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 51 Previous Next
  • celavey Newcomer 19 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012

I can only say that sometimes, you should pick your own sides. Not to defend them from the opposing side, but to learn more about the problem and try to fix it with everyone.

Footloose!! https://imagicon.info/cat/12-10/vbulletin-cool.gif
  • jnt Newcomer 14 posts since
    Mar 4, 2012

Well McAfee has been given the boot. I turned the PC on at lunchtime and a full scan started up. My partner tried running her browser and got nowhere - i told her not to bother. After half an hour, 4% of the scan was complete  which by my maths will mean the full scan will take about 12 hrs. And I've only got abut 150 Gb of junk on my hard drive. I cancelled the scan which took about 5 minutes to register. This action resulted in the start bar at the bottom freezing and no internet activity at all. Programmes on the computer (word, excel etc) ran ok but nothing doing regarding the rest of the world. As the start bar had also frozen I gave the PC a manual turn-off.

I have now loaded a different protection system. However even getting rid of Mcafee was not without issue. The windows control-panel uninstall programme hung (iI stopped it via the Task Manager) and on rebooting I find that IE8 is now corrupt with my email link not loading correctly and other web sites mangled or failing to properly run content. Interestingly my partner uses Firefox which was unaffected.

So finally I now have a different protection system and am running Google Chrome as my browser. I couldn't manage a successful repair or re-install of IE8.

Dang knows what's going on but whether its a combination of Windows, Internet Explorer and Mc Afee, well who knows? But for sure web sites are now running a lot faster - I've checked some of my regular sites which have animations and it's a lot slicker.

I'll run a full scan later on tonight and let you know how long it takes.

• thecreator Veteran 1,137 posts since
    Nov 6, 2003

jnt wrote:

Well McAfee has been given the boot. I turned the PC on at lunchtime and a full scan started up. My partner tried running her browser and got nowhere - i told her not to bother. After half an hour, 4% of the scan was complete  which by my maths will mean the full scan will take about 12 hrs. And I've only got abut 150 Gb of junk on my hard drive. I cancelled the scan which took about 5 minutes to register. This action resulted in the start bar at the bottom freezing and no internet activity at all. Programmes on the computer (word, excel etc) ran ok but nothing doing regarding the rest of the world. As the start bar had also frozen I gave the PC a manual turn-off.

I have now loaded a different protection system. However even getting rid of Mcafee was not without issue. The windows control-panel uninstall programme hung (iI stopped it via the Task Manager) and on rebooting I find that IE8 is now corrupt with my email link not loading correctly and other web sites mangled or failing to properly run content. Interestingly my partner uses Firefox which was unaffected.

So finally I now have a different protection system and am running Google Chrome as my browser. I couldn't manage a successful repair or re-install of IE8.

Dang knows what's going on but whether its a combination of Windows, Internet Explorer and Mc Afee, well who knows? But for sure web sites are now running a lot faster - I've checked some of my regular sites which have animations and it's a lot slicker.

I'll run a full scan later on tonight and let you know how long it takes.

Hi jnt,

What is your operating system, Service Pack Level and Bit 32 or 64Bit?

How Much memory is installed?

What is your Processor Speed? And how many Cores? What Brand?

Do you manually clean out your \Temp Folders? Then run Disk Cleanup?

=== thecreator - One of the people, that has a very good memory.

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

TheCreator's Installations

Don't forget to Vote: https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1341
    Like to See a Way to Limit CPU Usage for Real-Time Scanning
    Mar 4, 2012

Well on the System Properties window it says:

Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension

Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz

2.13 GHz 2.00 GB RAM

Not sure about the bits - probably 32 given its age

I gave it a defrag before Christmas and I'm not sure where the Temp Folder is, so it could be a bit full.

I'll give the system a full scan while i watch Lional Messi

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,371 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

Go to accessories and System tools or similiar and there  is a clean up tool there that will cleanup the Temp folders

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 6, 2003

jnt wrote:

Well on the System Properties window it says:

Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension

Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz

2.13 GHz 2.00 GB RAM

Not sure about the bits - probably 32 given its age

I gave it a defrag before Christmas and I'm not sure where the Temp Folder is, so it could be a bit full.

I'll give the system a full scan while i watch Lional Messi

Hi jnt,

Left click Start and Right Click My Computer and left click Properties. It will say whether it is Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional Edition. Home Edition does not have as many features as Professional Edition.

Go into Folder Options. Click on View . Dot Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply then OK.

C:\Documents and Settings\jnt\Local Settings\Temp  ---------------------------  In your User ID of jnt

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Also, is the Hard Drive an IDE or SATA?

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

Mar 4, 2012

That's getting too embarrassing watching Leverkusen getting a drubbing. Their goalie will have a damn good idea of what the back oh his net looks like by the time he finishes.

My Windows  is XP Media Edition Version 5.1 SP3 and the drives are SATA.

Thanks for the help - I'll have a spring clean

Mar 4, 2012

7:1! Now that the Leverkusen goaly and his defence have gone off for counselling I can report that Symantec has cranked through 300,000 files in 110 minutes with the CPU usage varying up to 50% and the PF usage at a steady 1.37 GB. So far it has found  and deleted 1 tracking cookie. I've also had the BBC radio iplayer running. This is the first time for months that I've been able to scan my drives while still be able to work the PC.

My choice of Symantec Endpoint was solely on the basis that we have it at work and we have a free home use option.

• winback Newcomer 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012

I still want to know why this problem has not been resolved. There is no reason for a scripts program to be running when the whole process was originally turned off. Mcshield.execontinues to run in background, at the moment eating up 106,000K of ram and it constantly increases. (this process, upon start-up, starts at 17,000k)

(17,000K ->106,000K in 40 minutes) (firewall and real-time scanning is even disabled, with no scans running)

It is outrageous that through the user agreement logs, that can not be changed to fix this issue, you can not change the access settings that would allow the user to end the process. You are not even able to disable the program from services via. the administrative tools.

Until a solution is reached or the terms adjusted, this program is a piece of crap.

Nov 6, 2003

winback wrote:

I still want to know why this problem has not been resolved. There is no reason for a scripts program to be running when the whole process was originally turned off. Mcshield.execontinues to run in background, at the moment eating up 106,000K of ram and it constantly increases. (this process, upon start-up, starts at 17,000k)

(17,000K ->106,000K in 40 minutes) (firewall and real-time scanning is even disabled, with no scans running)

It is outrageous that through the user agreement logs, that can not be changed to fix this issue, you can not change the access settings that would allow the user to end the process. You are not even able to disable the program from services via. the administrative tools.

Until a solution is reached or the terms adjusted, this program is a piece of crap.

Hi winback,

I like your handle. McAfee needs to do a lot to win back a lot of people. You can also see, right now, if you wanted to do a Clean Boot, in order to install a program that saids to turn off your Anti-Virus do this:

Start > Run and type in msconfig and click OK.

Click Services. Check Hide All Microsoft Services. Click Disable All. Click Startup. Click Disable All. Click Apply. Click OK. Click Ok. Click Ok. Click Restart.

Right Click on the Taskbar and click Task Manager.

You will see that Mcshield is still running in Processes.

Note: You can pin Services to the Start Menu and have it handy, when you need it.

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 51 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points