Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2847 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 10:32 AM by akill RSS 1 2 Previous Next
jsuboh Newcomer 14 posts since
Jan 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 21, 2012 3:01 PM

New Admin coming from SmartFilter

Hi,

I am the Network admin in a California School District. We recently migrated from SmartFilter Bess over to Web Gateway (latest build). There are some features that I used often in SmartFilter that are not readily available in Web Gateway. For example, in our blocked pages in SmartFilter, there were three option when presented with a block page; 1) submit site review request, 2)  temporarily override filter,3) go back using your browser back button (not important). I was able to incorporate the submit site review from another posting with the SiteReview 3.0 files (THANK YOU!).

My main issue is that I would like to add "temporarily override filter" function to my block page; it would email me whenever the block page was override. The Authorize Override does not work well - I need a link on the blocked page to it maybe(?). I am asking if anyone is Familiar with this function and if it is possible in Web Gateway.

bess.bmp

Thank you,

J Suboh

• eelsasser McAfee SME 841 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    3. Feb 24, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to jsuboh)
    Re: New Admin coming from SmartFilter

There is an Authorized Override rule set in the Rules Library that will provide this functionality.

Mar 24, 2010
    5. Feb 24, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to jsuboh)

The only difference between the old SmartFilter link page and the new MWG Authorized Override is that a username and password comes up on the first block page.

Functionally, it's the same beyond that once a user has been entered.

The challenge is that going to a second page looses the state of the first, so it doesn't know where you originally came from or what you are trying to unblock. The fundamental difference is MWG looks at all data going through it for malware scanning. SmartFilter just looked at the request going out and the traffic returned did matter. Now that MWG is inline, the session state becomes more important and a block could occur, based on the content coming back.

Anything beyond the scope what authorized override does might be possible, however, it would require a bit of customization to acheive the same affect.

Mar 24, 2010
    7. Feb 24, 2012 1:56 PM (in response to jsuboh)

Here's an idea you might want to consider. If you are any good with HTML and javascript, perhaps you could collapse the username/password form down to a collapsible <SPAN> on the same page, and when you click the link it triggers expansion on the bottom of the same page?

I hope you understand what I mean.

Mar 24, 2010
    8. Feb 24, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to eelsasser)

Here's a quick test of what I was talking about.

I took the basic authorized override page here and added a little javascript and a <DIV> to it.

Capture.jpg

When you click on the Temporarily Override Filtering, you get this:

Capture1.jpg

It may do what you want, it may not. But it's just an idea.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points