Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2126 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 10:20 AM by TGB RSS
pgustafs Newcomer 2 posts since
Dec 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2012 9:30 AM

McAfee keeps reinstalling itself on my Mac

McAfee keeps reinstalling itself on my mac every day around 1p, despite my running of the script sudo usrlocalMcAfeeuninstallMSC. 

Very frustrating it would do this without any permission prompting.

This application continues to freeze my mac, so it's imperative I get this bad boy off my machine!

Message was edited by: ajacobs on 8/10/12 9:30:19 AM CDT
  • myopicwombat Newcomer 1 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    1. Aug 7, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to pgustafs)
    Re: McAfee keeps reinstalling itself on my Mac

Not sure if you are still having this issue, but I was having similar issues and after continuously running the uninstall script someone suggested running "sudo /Library/McAfee/cma/uninstall.sh" in a terminal, then running the client uninstall.  So far, *fingers crossed*, it seems to have removed McAfee from my mac.

• TGB Newcomer 4 posts since
    Nov 5, 2010
    2. Sep 14, 2012 10:24 AM (in response to pgustafs)
    Re: McAfee keeps reinstalling itself on my Mac

It depends on your situation. If it is indeed your computer, then the above should work.

However, from the sound of it, it wasn't put there by you in the first place; if it is a company or institution-owned machine, then removing it may be regarded as a security breach by the organization, keeping in mind that it is not "your" computer - it's just provided for your use to do your job.

As an administrator, I set my management system to clean up and then re-deploy the agent package if McAfee Security is not found in the computer's inventory scan. The alternative is that I cut off their network access, because the computer no longer meets the organization's minimum compliance requirements. Administrators don't like being undermined, particularly in relation to security matters.

You should check your employment conditions, security requirements or conduct regulations - most organizations will have a clause involving tampering with the organization's systems, including both physical (eg: security card scanner) and software (firewall, virus scanner) security systems, and indeed it may be a dismissable offence (there are certain organizations where if you change the desktop picture, you're frog-marched out the door).

You may think, it's a Mac, what could go wrong? Companies get very protective of their data, as it's often worth millions. While it might not be possible to directly be affected, they'll be peeved if an infected document is traced back to you. While you might be relatively "immune", it's about being a good citizen and not passing on an infection to others, even if it doesn't affect you.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but if it is indeed a company machine, you should think twice about messing with it, before there's a knock on your office door from someone wanting answers. Contact your company's IT group, report the fault and give them an opportunity to fix it (they can't fix things they don't know about), so that you're both happy, instead of coming up with your own unauthorized workaround.

on 9/14/12 10:24:28 AM CDT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points