6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 12:53 AM by Jim Michaels RSS

MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes

Jim Michaels

the firefox 7.0.1 MVT plugin/extension crashes when you first start a web chat technical support session from the mcafee web site.

it runs MVT first before letting you get to a real technician.  I usually always end up talking to a technician anyway, because MVT doesn't fix the kind of problems I have with mcafee.

I have a relatively recent build of my OS, and my computer has been recently cleaned.

• 1. Re: MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes

Hi Jim,

MVT currently does not support FF 7.01 version. Could you please download and install MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt

Launch the installed MVT either from the Desktop Shortcut or from Start- > Programs -> McAfee -> McAfee Virtual Technician and to run the MVT scan.

Do let us know if you still face issues running the Standalone MVT.

• 2. Re: MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes
            Jim Michaels

mozilla is on a rapid-major-release track since 4.0.  firefox 9 (which provides faster javascript) is in beta right now and I am using the newly released 8.0.  I hope mcafee and plugin developers can keep up. to upgrade, simply do Help, About if you are running windows.

same with thunderbird, it is also at 8.0. its version number parallels firefox.

firefox can be obtained at firefox.com or mozilla.com/firefox and thunderbird can be obtained at mozilla.com/thunderbird

• 3. Re: MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes

Thanks Michael for giving us heads up on the Firefox latest version. Yeah, Firefox is releasing major version upgrades left right and center.

The firefox 7.0 issue with the browser integrated MVT (when running from http://service.mcafee.com ) is brought to the notice of our product manager and the engineering team.

It may take another 2 quarters to have it addressed not sure at this point.

What is of more interest to us currently is- Are you able to run the Standalone version of MVT that you downloaded from http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt

Please refer the above post on how to run the same and lets us know if you are still having issues.

• 4. Re: MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes
                Jim Michaels

yes, but it usually doesn't fix the kind of problems I have with mcafee (crashes in the middle of scans, old firefox mcafee plugins  which weren't removed by the updater and are now causing conflicts - it doesn't detect those kind of problems - it just says everything is fine.)

the downloadable exe does work though, it takes some wrangling to get it to download but it works.

• 5. Re: MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes

Hi Jim,

MVT has thecapabilities of fixing most of the issues with the product which it is aware of, but not every problem.

If you could outline the exact issue with the product we could pass that on to the appropriate product engineers to have expert opinion from them on what may be wrong.

Glad that the you were able to download MVT from htt://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt and run the scan. But would like to understand more on this - "it takes some wrangling to get it to download but it works." What were your difficulties?

• 6. Re: MVT firefox plugin (7.01) crashes
                    Jim Michaels

so can I charge you for being a beta tester?  my rate is $40/hr.

honestly, I can only do business in Vancouver, WA, but this is the job of QA testers and Usability Testing.  they should be the ones catching this stuff, not me.

otherwise, what do I get out of it? smidgeon of a hope of a bug fix?

what I would tell you is basically what you would get if you were to fisit the support page and try to get chat support.  it would take you through the mcafee plugin first, which crashes.  but what happens after that is strange.

I am using firefox 8.0

when I saw the problem I was on firefox 7.0.1 (8.0 just came out a very short time ago and I immediately upgraded).  I wouldn't be surprised of 8.0 acts just as strange.

try it tyourself. http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

the McAfee Virtual Technicial plugin has crashed. Learn More. Report Crash.

firefox "hung script" dialog:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/js/MVTControl.js:331

it's a consistent bug.  this is with 8.0

exe downloads and launches.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 11/23/11 12:47:45 AM CST

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 11/23/11 12:53:50 AM CST