1 2 3 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 10:44 AM by Lifeblood Go to original post RSS
      • 20. Re: MVT shown in "Add/Remove Programs Listing";  Have tried to remove it...unsuccessfully.  Any suggestions?
        spc3rd

Greetings once again the creator!

I appreciate your suggestion!  I may try using the program you are recommending at some point.  Since your comment that this Tune Up Utility can do what the free programs I have cannot do, I'm guessing there is some kind of license fee involved in acquiring the software.  I'll check to see how much $$$ is involved.  (As I had to retire early on disability...I subsist upon a very limited, fixed, income each month).

Thanks very much again!

• 21. Re: MVT shown in "Add/Remove Programs Listing";  Have tried to remove it...unsuccessfully.  Any suggestions?
          thecreator

spc3rd wrote:

Greetings once again the creator!

I appreciate your suggestion!  I may try using the program you are recommending at some point.  Since your comment that this Tune Up Utility can do what the free programs I have cannot do, I'm guessing there is some kind of license fee involved in acquiring the software.  I'll check to see how much $$$ is involved.  (As I had to retire early on disability...I subsist upon a very limited, fixed, income each month).

Thanks very much again!

Hi Pete C,

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Get started with optimizing your PC!

the TuneUp Utilities™ 2011 test version:

• Includes all features
          • Test for 15 days without obligation
          • Provides maximum results even just after the first start

I have absolutely no Stock, not an Employee. I just like the product like I like McAfee.

You do not have to upgrade each year. You pay once, if you like the product. That's it.  You can undo all changes, if you so desire.

With other products, like McAfee's QuickClean, you can't. QuickClean is part of McAfee's Total Protection.

• 23. Re: MVT shown in "Add/Remove Programs Listing";  Have tried to remove it...unsuccessfully.  Any suggestions?
            Lifeblood

In case anybody wants to know, there are two places that I know of, in the registry, where the uninstall information for the 'Add or Remove Programs' tool, are located.

The first one is for the current user, which is in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive (HKCU).

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"

The second one is for the the local machine, which is in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive (HKLM).

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"

Before performing the following steps, I recommend creating a System Restore Point, so that you may roll-back to that point, should anything go wrong when you are editing the registry.  If you don't know how to do this, then you should look it up on the Internet, and learn how.  It can be a life-saver for many occasions.

If you follow these steps exactly, you should have no problems.

Some of the images below might be hard to see.  Just right-click on them, choose 'Save Picture As' or 'Save Image As', depending on what web browser you are using, and save it to your Desktop.  Then open it up with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer.

I tried to make the following directions as fool-proof as possible, so that even a person who has very little computer experience, and no knowledge of the registry, could perform the steps.

1.  On your computer's Taskbar, click on the Start button, then click on Run.  You'll see a box like this.

Run Bar 001.bmp

2.  Type in regedit.  This will open the Registry Editor.

3.  Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\McAfee Virtual Technician".  Navigate through the Registry Editor's tree menu, on the left-hand side, by clicking on the + signs in front of each key.  First, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, etc.  See the picture below.

Registry Image 001.bmp

At this point, I highly recommend, that you make a backup of the McAfee Virtual Technician key, by exporting it from the registry. 

4.  On the left-hand side of registry editor, right-click on the key named McAfee Virtual Technician, and select Export.  See the picture below.

Registry Image 002.bmp

5.  From the pull-down menu, choose Desktop.  See the picture below.

Registry Image 003.bmp

6.  Name the file MVT Uninstall Information.

7. Click Save.

I would choose to put the backup file on the Desktop if I were you.  It makes it easier to find.  If you decide to delete the key, like I describe later, then you can use the MVT Uninstall Information.reg file, that you exported, to restore it back into the registry.

8.  If you have uninstalled, or deleted MVT completely from your computer, and the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\McAfee Virtual Technician", still exists, then on the left-hand side of the registry editor, right-click on the key named McAfee Virtual Technician, and click Delete.  It shouldn't be there if you have uninstalled MVT.  See the picture below.

Registry Image 004.bmp

All that this key does is point to the uninstall program located at "C:\ProgramFiles\McAfee\Supportability\MVT\MVTInstaller.exe".  It doesn't affect the operation of MVT at all.  Once deleted, it should now be gone from the 'Add or Remove Programs' list.

I'm not sure how multiple copies of MVT uninstall information would show up under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", because I have never uninstalled MVT incorrectly, then re-installed it, but I'm guessing it would have a similar name to McAfee Virtual Technician, if not the exact same name.  I fabricated the next image.  This is not a real screenshot of my registry.  I'm just showing what multiple copies of MVT's uninstall information might look like.  See the picture below.

Registry Image 005.bmp

If the name is not similar, you'll have to search through the whole list of keys, under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", one by one, and look at the data on the right-hand side of the registry editor, under the "DisplayName" string value.  Looking for the name McAfee Virtual Technician.  Then delete key the key on the left-hand side, that is associated with that "DisplayName" string value, whatever it's name is.  See the picture below.

Registry Image 006.bmp

If you accidentally delete the uninstall information for a current installation of MVT, and you didn't export a backup file, and don't have a way of restoring it back into the registry, don't worry, you can still uninstall it from your computer, by performing the following these steps.

1.  On your PC, navigate to the McAfee Virtual Technician folder, located at "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Supportability\MVT"

2.  Right-click on the application named MVTInstaller.exe.

3.  Click on Create Shorcut.  See the picture below.

MVT Folder 001.bmp

4.  Right-click on the shortcut that you just made.

5.  Click on Properties.  See the the picture below.

MVT Folder 002.bmp

6.  In the Target field, you'll see the pathname "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Supportability\MVT\MVTInstaller.exe"

7.  Type /uninstall after the pathname like this "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Supportability\MVT\MVTInstaller.exe" /uninstall.  See the picture below.

MVT Folder 003.bmp

8.  Click OK.

9.  Now, right-click on on the shortcut that you made, and select Rename. See the picture below.

MVT Folder 004.bmp

10.  Rename it from MVTInstaller.exe, to Uninstall.   See the picture below.

MVT Folder 005.bmp

That's it. 

Now, you have a shortcut named Uninstall, that will uninstall MVT from your computer.  You can test it out by double-clicking on it. 

Don't worry, it will pop-up a window that will ask if you "Are you sure you want to remove McAfee Virtual Technician?, Yes or No", just select No if you don't want to uninstall.  See the picture below.

MVT Folder 006.bmp

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: Lifeblood on 10/20/11 10:44:38 AM CDT
            1 2 3 Previous Next