Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
123463 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 5:48 AM by Ex_Brit RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • John spearman Newcomer 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 5, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to puglvr)
    Re: Security Tool 2011 Virus - Beware!!

I got this xp security 2011 & it wouldn't let me do anything, so i downloaded malwarebytes onto a USB stick  started the infected one up in safe mode, installed & ran malwarebytes. Hey presto no more xp security 2011. BUT I had ro download & run a file association fix in order for Winxp to return to normal. the file association fix can be found here  

http://www.dougknox,com    go to the WINXP fixes section & look for the File Association  Fix entry

It worked for me after trying to get spybot & spyware doctor to remove it & failing miserably

I would give malwarebytes full marks for a great product plus you don't even need to buy the full version in order to get it to work

• mikelh Newcomer 3 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    31. Apr 5, 2011 6:01 PM (in response to John spearman)

Hi

Since several hours I had the same problem in one of my computers, I tried to follow the suggetions given since I could not anymore work with my browsers because of the infectionand the taking over of what ever it is ( virus worm etc) so I did the same with the USB stick connected it to the computer in safe mode but could not install the malwarebytes on the infected computer, it seems to be infected strongly....

what else can I do in order to save my computer ???

Thanks

mikel

• xavfig Newcomer 7 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    32. Apr 6, 2011 5:52 AM (in response to John spearman)

Mikelh,

If the virus is not letting you install malwarebytes you need to srop the process of the virus first by removing the following files, start computer in safe mode with networking.

Go to windows explorer ans click on tools, folder options, then click on the view tab, go down to the hidden files and folders seccion and check SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and uncheck HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM FILES, then click APPLY and OK.

Now remove the files listed bellow by going to the main hard drive.

Click on the + sign next to my computer my computer, then click on the + sign next to local C drive, then locate the files on documents and settings and delete them, do not restart computer (This action would restore the files from the registry).

The files to be deleted are listed below:

• %Documents and Settings%\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\[random].exe
    • %Documents and Settings%\[All Users]\[random]
    • %Documents and Settings%\[All Users]\Application Data\[random]
    • %Documents and Settings%\[User Name]\Templates\[random]
    • %Temp%\[random]

Once these files are removed install MALWAREBYTES, do an update first and then  run the program, this link explains what files are removed from your computer. Link removed by Moderator. Stick to known sites such as BleepingComputer when posting links with advise on how to remove malware.

Once computer is free of the virus go back and change the SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM FILES

Best of luck to you!

xavfig

Message was edited by: xavfig on 4/5/11 7:23:49 PM CDT

Message was edited by: xavfig on 4/5/11 7:25:14 PM CDT

on 06/04/11 11:52:36 IST
  • paullotion Apprentice 8,078 posts since
    Apr 13, 2006
    33. Apr 6, 2011 5:55 AM (in response to mikelh)

Hello -

Follow the instructions in this removal guide in link below, you may need to run rkill first before Malwarebytes will run. rkill will try to kill the malware process that are stopping Malwarebytes from running. Read the whole page first and DO NOT click on the first thing you see.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-tool

The Black Bear

*Important News for BT/TalkTalk customers*

BT/TalkTalk dump Phorm spyware, for more information see this article Here , also visit the NODPI website for much more information relating to DPI.
  • mikelh Newcomer 3 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    34. Apr 6, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to xavfig)

Hi

Thank you for the answers

I acted acording to the process both had suggeted and all the pop up screens etc did not apear except from time to time Mcafee report that the computer is in danger and sugest to operate the online scanning but when it is done it hold only for 1-2 sec and then return to the allert.

beside of that i could not activate any exe files that mean that for example regedit etc does not work and i am asked with what programto activate the exe file. secondly all the icons of the exe programs on the dektop and elsware changed from there original statuss  to the icon of the unidentified type of file and as explained before  nothing works

i deleated all the files as sugeted in the instructions and ran  the super antiapyware program which is a com file and that eventually had detected  2 registery keys that can be a problem

HKCR \.exe

HKCR\exefile\shell\open\command

I really do not know what to do...the situation seem to be ditiriorating since all kind of programs and procidures I had on the computer and or downloaded from the net in order to help eliminate the problem does not work ....

how can I solve this circle of proble,s totally

Thank you for your inputs

Mikel

• negativzeroe Newcomer 2 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    35. Apr 11, 2011 9:08 AM (in response to Ryesen_Grear)

wow. first of all facebook is not a trusted site. its in the top ten most virus infected sites on the internet. second. ************. i only joined to warn all of you i had the paid version mooching from my friends liscense for the 3rd pc and when the subscription was up he had to wait for a couple weeks for his next paycheck. in the meantime i downloaded AVG free and it found 8 viruses that mcaffee said i didnt have. woohoo mcafee. it is currently the worst antivirus. even worse than norton. try bitdefender, eset, or kaspersky.

Message was edited by: negativzeroe on 4/11/11 9:08:35 AM CDT
  • negativzeroe Newcomer 2 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    36. Apr 11, 2011 9:09 AM (in response to negativzeroe)

also get firefox with adblocker and its popup addon and noscript. because that is how they commonly get on your computer is a script upon entering a page or an ad or a popup.

also i just noticed that they censor my "mcafee. sux". lol

on 4/11/11 9:09:24 AM CDT
  • SamSwift Group Leader 651 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    37. Aug 2, 2011 10:55 AM (in response to negativzeroe)

Hi everyone,

I am going to close and lock this thread now. If you are visiting this site and have a new infection of 'Security Tool 2011' please start by using our FakeAlert Stinger. If that doesn't resolve the issue please start a new thread in our Top Threats space and we'll do all we can to help.

Kind regards,

Sam

• margiewhite123 Newcomer 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2011
    38. Sep 27, 2011 4:59 AM (in response to AnnieZ)

Absolutely the worst trojan I have ever experienced. This thing is nasty!

Malwarebytes did find it last night, and I had thought it had removed it. but it’s here again. I also use the sysinternals.com process explorer, which was helpful to find the executable as it was running on the system. However, I can’t actually see the file in explorer or the cmd shell to delete it!

Hopefully the registry keys mentioned in this article will disable it long enough for malware bytes to finish the cleaning.

I lost two days of coding production (so far) to this damned thing!

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,582 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    39. Sep 27, 2011 5:48 AM (in response to margiewhite123)

It appears that Sam forgot to lock this rather old thread.  Any new infections please start a new one.   If the McAfee solutions don't help there is a removal guide here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool (scroll down as the first links are ads) and they have a special section for reading Hijackthis logs where they can help here.

Locking thread.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/09/11 6:48:54 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-1-62127/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)