7 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2011 5:06 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

McAfee Update Problems

I have a problem and wonder if anyone has similar experience or can help me.  I am running McAfee Plus Antivirus/Syyware on a Windows XP Home Edition.  I have been running with McAfee automatic updates set on.  A couple of monthe ago, I ran into a situation when the automatic update process would run for hours and never complete.  I then got a pop up saying my computer is at risk.  I downloaded and ran the virtual technician and it reported DAT/Engine problem.  MVT corrected the DAT I rebooted and everything seemingly ran fine.  Last week, the problem recurred.  Again I downloaded MVT and it reported DAT/Engine problem.  MVT Corrected the problem but when I rebooted my computed the McAfee update continued to run forever.  I went into a live chat with McAfee technicians who spent several hours trying to correct the problem.  We finally ended up un-installing and reinstalling the McAfee suite of products.  This did not resolve my problems.  Also, whenever I go into Windows Task Manager to stop the McAfee Update process from running, another instance of the Mcupdate process is created and run immediately.  Any suggestions?  Do you think I have a Virus?

• 1. Re: McAfee Update Problems
          Dinz

Hi jlmuse,

Could you please let us know the version of your virus scan & DAT ?

Also let us know if you receive any spyware alerts in the PC?

Open IE – click on Tools – click on Windows Update – Install any available important update that’s available.

Regards,

• 2. Re: McAfee Update Problems

Pardon my ignorance but how do I fine out what virus scan and DAT are on my machine.  In response o you other questions, I have not received any spyware alerts and  my Windows updates are current.

• 3. Re: McAfee Update Problems

Is there someone out there who can help me please?  If you suspect I may have a downlevel DAT can you send me the latest one or tell me how to get it?  In the many years I have used McAfee, I have never done anything overtly to upgrade this file.  I have assumed the Automatic Update feature of McAfee would get me everything I need to stay protected but I guess that's not correct.   I am paying for virus protection but now I have none at all. This is very, very frustrating.  Any ideas out there please !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4. Re: McAfee Update Problems
                Ex_Brit

jlmuse wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but how do I fine out what virus scan and DAT are on my machine.  In response o you other questions, I have not received any spyware alerts and  my Windows updates are current.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter then click Navigation (top-right), then About (left) and a window will open giving full details of the installed products.  You will have to scroll down to see them all.

My current DAT is 6330.

jlmuse wrote:

Is there someone out there who can help me please?  If you suspect I may have a downlevel DAT can you send me the latest one or tell me how to get it?  In the many years I have used McAfee, I have never done anything overtly to upgrade this file.  I have assumed the Automatic Update feature of McAfee would get me everything I need to stay protected but I guess that's not correct.   I am paying for virus protection but now I have none at all. This is very, very frustrating.  Any ideas out there please !!!!!!!!!!!!

Updates are often delayed over the various worldwide servers so not everyone will be smack-bang up to date at any given moment. If it isn't somewhere near 6330 you can either right-click the taskbar icon and select 'Check for updates'.  If that fails to bring you up to date you can download the updates manually.  I've written a small instructional article here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/04/11 8:15:12 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: McAfee Update Problems
                  Ex_Brit

By the way, you stated:

I have assumed the Automatic Update feature of McAfee would get me everything I need to stay protected but I guess that's not correct.   I am paying for virus protection but now I have none at all. This is very, very frustrating.  Any ideas out there please !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always sensible to carry some extra anti-malware applications, updated and ready to run in case of anything abnormal occurring.   There are a few listed HERE.

• 6. Re: McAfee Update Problems

Thanks everyone for all you help.  It has been quite helpful.  The DAT version on my system was 6324, not too far downlevel but downleel just the same.  As instructed I manually downloaded the currect DAT, SDAT and engine (I'm not sure the engine downloaded) and  now everything seems to be working just fine. I am also looking into additional anti-malware apps that will soon be installed.  Thanks for all your help.

• 7. Re: McAfee Update Problems
                      Ex_Brit

Glad it's OK now.  From my experience our-of-date DATs can happen for a number of reasons, amongst them, frequent use of System Restore without updating everything afterwards, use of Registry Cleaners, incorrect System Clock, and of course infections, the list goes on.

There are a few good ones listed here (see 'Warning' onwards): https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168