Skip navigation
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2981 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2010 5:54 AM by lhebbes RSS
lhebbes Newcomer 5 posts since
Sep 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2010 9:21 AM

A few problems?

Firstly, I commend you for trying to make short URLs more secure and I can see a point to what you are trying to do, unlike some. However, I have come across some potential problems with your service, which I talk about in my blog. For example, you seem to default to stating that a URL is safe when there is no information on it. I set up a few pages to test this out and all were marked with a green tick. I think by default you should mark them as unknown. Your service also seems to use misleading categories - a test page I set up was flagged as being a Business Internet Services company, which it really wasn't and should never be elevated to that status as people might falsely trust the link.

More worrying was the fact that I could link to malware sites. I know that you have stated elsewhere that you only check when a user follows a link rather than at link creation, but I think you should do both. I can also use iframes, scripts or redirects to display a malware site in the window with your nice big green tick above it (screenshots at my blog). This is worse than not having it in my opinion. If there is no safeguard people will be cautious. If, however, McAfee 'certifies' that this site is safe then people will throw caution to the wind. I'm afraid that I believe that you are giving a false sense of security to people using your service as it is too easy to bypass.

I'd love to hear your feedback and development plans though as I realise that this is just a Beta and you want feedback to improve the service offering.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points