In this document, you will see how to install the McAfee endpoint protection for SMB, using the cloud management console, also known as ePO cloud. Using the Cloud Management Console, or ePO cloud, means that the management server and console for your endpoint protection is hosted in the cloud. This has the advantage of eliminating the need for you to install and maintain a management server.
You can also watch the steps described in this document by viewing the video below.
The installation process has 2 majors steps: signing up for ePO cloud and deploying the protection on your endpoints.
Signing up for McAfee Endpoint Protection fro SMB with ePO cloud
1. First, we need to sign up for ePO cloud. For that, let’s go to the McAfee.com web site.
2. Click On For Enterprise
3. Go to Products and solutions
4. Select Endpoint Protection
5. Scroll down if you have to, and select McAfee end point protection for SMB
6. Click on download trial
7. Fill the form with the requested information
8. Enter the email address at which you want to receive the email that will allow you to activate your account on ePO cloud.
9. Click on the license agreement link to read the license agreement, and if you agree, close it, check the box and click submit.
10. A message will tell you that your request has been submitted.
11. Go to the mailbox that you have specified in the sign up form. You should have an email from McAfee. Open the email and click on the “Click Here to Begin” button.
12. You are now asked to create a password for the account that you will use to access the ePO cloud console.
13. And then, click Activate to make activate your account.
14. You are given the choice to use Cloud Management or to install a management server and console on premise, on your own server. In our case, we are going to choose Cloud Management because we want McAfee to maintain and support our management server. So, we’ll click on Use Cloud Management.
Installing the McAfee Endpoint Protection on your systems
We are now at the point where we can start installing McAfee Endpoint Protection on our computers.
1. We see that we have the choice to Install the protection or to customize it. We’ll click customize so we can view what options are available.
We could also choose which components we want to install and which configuration to apply to each component. Here, we are going to keep all the default, and we notice that the default is to update the products automatically. Let’s click on Done.
And, since we are on this computer already, we’ll choose to install the protection on it. First, make sure that you are administrator rights to the computer. Click on “Install Protection on this computer”.
2. An install window comes up. If a pop-up asking you to save or run McAfeeSmartInstall, shows up automatically, click run. If there is no pop-up, click Install on the web page. The pop-up will then come up.
3. Answer yes when asked if you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer. The installation will start.
4. The Cancel button will turn into OK when the installation is done. The window might close on its own. If not, click OK. Then close that window.
5. We come back to the installation page.
6. Now, let’s install the protection on other computers. For that we’ll click on “Install Protection to Other Computer”
7. Now you see that the system has generated an installation link, or URL. Clicking on the URL will start the installation.
8. The easiest way to distribute this URL to the systems that we want to protect. So, this is what we are going to do here. Let’s copy the URL . Then click OK t close the window. We’ll go to our email client and write an email with the URL and send it to the people whose machine we want to install the protection on.
9. Now let’s switch to another system. A machine that we want to protect. Let’s open our email. We’ve received our email with the link. Let’s click on it.
As we did before, we’ll select Run, then Yes, and the installation starts.
10. Close the window if it does not close automatically.
11. Close the installation web page.
Checking the installation on our computers
1. Let’s verify that the protection was installed. First, we can check this computer directly. For that, we’ll click on the start button, and we can see a McAfee Endpoint Security shortcut has been created. Let’s select it.
2. The McAfee endpoint protection UI comes up.
3. We can also verify the installation by looking in our ePO cloud console, which is extremely convenient so we don’t have to walk to each system to verify them. Let’s go back to our ePO cloud console. In the console, let’s click on View Dashboard.
4. We land on the Getting started with ePO dashboard.
6. Here we see 2 systems, SMB1 and SMB2, which are the 2 systems we have just run the installation on. We now know that our systems are now properly managed by ePO cloud.
7. Double-click on one of the systems.
8. Here we can see details about the system, and, under the Product tab, you can see a list of the installed products.
9. A successful default installation will show you the McAfee agent, the endpoint security platform, the product improvement program, the Endpoint security firewall, the Endpoint security threat protection and the End point security web control.
We’ve seen how to install the McAfee Endpoint protection on you r computers, using ePO cloud. It’s an easy process. All you need to do to protect new computers is to email new users the URL link to install the protection their new system. In addition, the default setup will automatically update your computers daily so you can stay up to day with no efforts
For more information about the McAfee Endpoint Protection for SMB, visit:
McAfee Endpoint Protection for SMB Product page: http://www.mcafee.com/in/products/endpoint-protection-for-smb.aspx
McAfee Small Business Security: http://www.mcafee.com/sg/small-business-security/endpoint-protection-suite.html
McAfee Sales page http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact-us.aspx#ht=tab-sales
Trial version download: https://partners.mcafee.com/SignUp/en-IN/epo/CLDEPOTRIAL