FRP 4.3 FAQs : Mac OS X Offsite Application for USB Media

Version 2

File & Removable Media Protection (FRP) is the new name for Endpoint Encryption for Files & Folders (EEFF)

Q: Can I read encrypted USB sticks on Mac OS X?

Yes, Offsite support on Mac OS X clients is a new feature introduced in v4.3. Any encrypted device using the “offsite access” options (formerly known as EERM) can now be accessed on supported Mac OS X clients

Q: Is the support on Mac OS X clients restricted to just reading the data on the encrypted USB device?

No, in addition to being able to read files on the device, you can also perform in-place edits and copy files to and from the encrypted USB device. In essence, all the operations that can be performed with the Windows offsite application can be performed on Mac OS X clients as well

Q: Can I perform the initial provisioning (secure container creation) on a Mac OS X machine?

The initial provisioning to create the secure container is a one-time activity and still requires to be performed on a Windows machine managed by ePO

Q: What OS X platforms are supported with this offsite application?

·       OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.0 or higher

·       OS X Mavericks 10.9.0 or higher

OS X Yosemite 10.10.0 or higher

Q: Do I need to install any software on the Mac OS X client in order to access the content on the encrypted USB devices?

No. The offsite access application for Mac OS X is carried on the encrypted USB device

Q: I have devices initialized with previous versions of FRP (EEFF). I want to leverage this new functionality and be able to read these encrypted devices on Mac OS X, how do I do it? Do I have to format/reinitialize the USB sticks in my environment?

No, the devices are automatically provisioned with the Mac offsite application when the USB devices are inserted on to a v4.3 client. An upgrade message is displayed to the end user when the Mac offsite application is being provisioned on the device

Q: How do I access the content of the secure container on the USB device on a Mac OS X client?

The process is identical to that on Windows. The end user has to enter the password for the encrypted media and upon successful authentication is able to view the contents of the secure container

Q: How do I copy files to and from the encrypted container on the USB device?

End users can perform the standard “Drag/Drop” operations they would be familiar with. In addition, for power users, we also support “Keyboard shortcuts”

Q: I don’t see any context menu options from within the encrypted container on a Mac OS X client? Aren’t they available?

Yes, context menu options aren’t available with the current version of the offsite application for Mac OS X

Note: A context menu is a menu in a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears upon user interaction (such as a right-click mouse operation)

Q: Can I recover a USB device on a Mac OS X client?

This version of the OS X client is primarily designed for offsite access of data. As a result, all password recovery/reset operations need to be performed on a Windows system

Q: Can I change password credentials for the encrypted device on a Mac OS X client?

This version of the OS X client is primarily designed for offsite access of data. As a result, all password recovery/reset operations need to be performed on a Windows system

Q: The base file format of my USB device is FAT. I then provisioned the container (encrypted the USB device) on a Windows machine. Will I be able to place files of size > 4 GB on the device?

Yes, you can copy files of size > 4 GB to the encrypted portion of the USB device. See "FAQs, Large File Support" : https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-5849 for additional details on this newly introduced capability