Today I am announcing the End of Sale (EOS) and End of Life (EOL) for several older versions of McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC (EEPC) and McAfee Endpoint Encryption for Mac (EEMac). The End of Life date should supply you with ample time to migrate to a newer version or the latest version of EEPC/EEMac, v7.
EEPC Announcement Specifics
The EOS and EOL dates are as follows:
- EOS; effective March 31, 2013 for the versions noted below.
- EOL; effective March 31, 2014 for the versions noted below.
The affected EEPC versions for EOS and EOL are:
- 5.2.0 through 5.2.5 versions
- 5.2.8 through 5.2.11 versions
- All versions of 6.1.x
- All versions of 6.2.x
The affected EEMac versions for EOS and EOL are:
- All versions of 1.1.x
- All versions of 6.2.x
Please note that EEPC version 5.2.6 and 5.2.12 are excluded from this announcement and will not be affected by the End of Sale or End of Life at this time.
Supporting information regarding the End of Sale and End of Life for the EEPC versions noted above can be found on the McAfee Website (http://www.mcafee.com/us/support/support-eol-software-utilities.aspx) and in the following KBs:
- EEPC v5.x: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB77999
- EEPC v6.x: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78003
- EEMac: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78005
Migration for Legacy Customers (EEPC v5.x)
If you are using the legacy EEPC v5.x version, you will have a choice on how to migrate to a newer EEPC version. Your two options are as follows:
- utilize an optimized one-step migration process to v7.0 (preferred), or
- upgrade to v5.2.12.*
Customers should seriously consider choosing option 1, the migration to version 7.0. We have worked hard to specifically provide customers with a straightforward one-step migration opportunity from v5.2.x (all shipping versions at time of writing) to v7.0. Option 1 also relieves you of any concern about future EOL announcements in 2013.
*Please note that the End Of Life announcement for all remaining v5.x releases will be made before year-end 2013.
Migration for ePO Managed EEPC (EEPC v6.x)
This announcement will start the End of Life all EEPC v6.x versions. Customers should upgrade to EEPC v7.0.
Migration for EEMac (EEMac v1.1.x, v6.2.x)
This announcement will start the End of Life all EEMac versions below v7.0. Customers should upgrade to EEMac v7.0
Benefits of Migrating to EEPC/EEMac v7.0
Version 7.0 is a major leap forward in features, functionality and performance. Major reasons to move to v7.0 are:
- Near native performance for encryption
- Out of band management using Intel’s AMT technology
- Support for Windows 8
- Offline activation
- Built in multi-stage health checks
- And many more…
Information on EEPC/EEMac Version 7 can be found here at:
- EEPC v7.0 FAQ: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4379
- EEPC v7.0.1 FAQ: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4739
Migration Made Even Easier with Upcoming EEPC v7.1
Due for release in 2013, EEPC v7.1 will have well defined migration paths from the following EEPC versions:
• Migrate EEPC v5.2.6 directly to v7.1
• Migrate EEPC v5.2.12 directly to v7.1
• Migrate EEPC v5.2.13 directly to v7.1
• Upgrade EEPC/EEMac v7.0 to v7.1
It is recommended that customers move to one of these newer versions in order to be prepared for future upgrades.
Group Product Manager
McAfee Endpoint Encryption