EEMac and Thunderbolt Update (12 December 2011)

Version 3

On December 12, 2011, Apple has released  a firmware update for Thunderbolt displays ( please refer http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1453 for more details ) . Applying this firmware update on a machine encrypted with McAfee Endpoint Encryption for Mac (EEMac) will result in the machine entering a continous reboot cycle.

The team is currently triaging the issue and will soon come back to this thread with their recommendations. Until the triage is complete it is recommended that customers do not apply this firmware update.

For more information please refer to the following KB Articles:

Q: I've got EEMac installed and active, and I'd like to install this Firmware update, can I do it?

A: At present it is McAfee's recommendation not to apply this update until the team has had a chance to triage the issue. Please refer back to this article and the associated KB's for the latest information. However if you absolutely need to apply this Firmware Update immediately it is the recommended (at this time as the triage is not complete) to decrypt the machine and remove the product, apply the Firmware Update and reinstall EEMac.

Q: I've already applied the Thunderbolt update with EEMac installed and active. The steps detailed in the firmware upgrade KB above are not correcting the issue, what can I do?

A: In the scenario where the Repair Preboot option does not resolve the scenario you may need to decrypt the machine and remove EEMac. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Boot with McAfee EETech USB disk.
    2. Authenticate with token/file and the daily authorization code (also referred to as "the code of the day" or "tech code").
    3. Select RemoveEE.
    4. Click Remove. This will decrypt the machine and remove EEMac.
    5. Once the Removal process has completed, perform a reboot.
    6. Perform NVRAM reset. This is done by pressing and holding the Command+Option+P+R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    8. Release the keys.
    9. Login to Mac OS X and either wait for a policy enforcement or force a policy enforcement from ePO. This should result in EEMac being reinstalled, activate and enforce the encryption policy again.

Note : For more information on how to reset the Parameter Random Access Memory (PRAM) and nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) on Mac computers, please refer           http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Best regards

Anthony Merry

Senior Product Manager

Endpoint Encryption for Mac