McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC version 6.2 - Beta FAQ

Version 2

General FAQ

Q: Will there be a Beta version of EEPC version 6.2?

A: Yes there will be a Beta period for EEPC version 6.2. It is a closed beta, so you’ll need to sign up in order to join the beta.

Q: When is the Beta period?

A: The Beta will start on 5 January 2012, and end on 29 February 2012.

Q: Is the EEPC 6.2 Beta open to Customers?

A: Yes, but explicitly those who want to test the Opal functionality. If a customer only wants to see new non-Opal features they will not be included in the Beta.

Q: Do I need an Opal Drive to test the Opal functionality of EEPC 6.2?

A: Yes. If you don’t have an Opal Drive when the Beta starts, or during the course of the Beta, then you won’t be able to join the Beta.

Q: When EEPC 6.2 is released, will it require an Opal Drive to work?

A: No. EEPC 6.2 supports both Opal Drives and Software Encryption for Normal HDD. For the purposes of the Beta, the EEPC 6.2 Beta team is explicitly interested in the Opal functionality as the Software Encryption functionality has had many years of use in the field.

Q: Can the Beta be deployed to production machines?

A: No. Beta software should only be used/tested in a pure test environment.

Q: How can I join the Beta?

A: Send an email to the Product Manager (Anthony Merry – Anthony_merry@mcafee.com) and ask for the customer to be added to the Beta. Product Management will confirm whether you’ve been accepted as a part of the Beta.

Q: What information needs to be provided to join the Beta?

A: The following information will be required when joining the EEPC 6.2 Beta:

• Customer Name
    • Company
    • Contact Person
    • Contact Email Address
    • Contact Phone Number
    • Account Manager
    • Confirmation that you have Opal hardware, or will have Opal hardware during the Beta period
    • Details of the hardware that will be used for Opal testing. Make and Model (e.g. Dell E6420) is the minimum information required.
    • Details of whether the Opal Drive was shipped with the device, or if it has been retrofitted.
    • Confirmation that you have time to perform some beta testing of EEPC 6.2
    • Confirmation that you will provide feedback on your experiences

Q: What is expected of Beta Participants?

A: Please refer to the section below entitled “Expectations of Customers during the EEPC 6.2 Beta”

Expectation of Customers during the Beta

Q: What are the expectations of customers who are a part of the Beta program?

A: To test, evaluate and provide feedback on the Opal functionality and support in EEPC 6.2.

Q: What does provide feedback mean?

A: It means either providing feedback in a written form or verbally during a conference call. 

Q: How can written feedback be provided?

A: A forum will be established where all participants can share their experiences, questions, and comments. The EEPC 6.2 Beta team will also use the Forum to provide any updates to all participants.

Q: Does this mean that Beta participants will join conference calls?

A: Yes. By joining the Beta program, participants will need to join scheduled conference calls. Calls will be scheduled to allow for time zone differences. Conference calls will be set up with the EEPC 6.2 Beta Team and the Beta participants in either a group or individual setting as appropriate.

Q: What will these calls cover?

A: Your experiences both good and bad with EEPC 6.2, and any feedback that you may have. And technical queries can be answered by the Engineering team.

Q: Do I need to attend every call?

A: We realize that everyone has a day job, so it’s not necessary to attend every call however a best effort should be made. Feedback via the forum is also a way of providing your feedback.

Opal Related Questions

Q: Where can I learn more about Opal?

A: The Opal FAQ Opal Support FAQ

Q: Do I need an Opal Drive to test the Opal functionality in the Beta?

A: Yes. Without the necessary Opal hardware present in the machine it is not possible to test the Opal functionality.

Q: Will McAfee Engineering give me, or loan me, an Opal drive to test on?

A: No. You need to obtain the hardware yourself in order to perform the testing.

Q: Can I test Opal drives on old hardware?

A: No. You need modern hardware with a modern operating system, minimum of Windows 7 Service Pack 1, and an up to date BIOS.  While Opal drives appear self-contained, their successful operation does have dependencies on the latest Operating System and BIOS functionality.

Q: I’m an EEPC v5.x customer; will EEPC support Opal Drives on EEPC v5.x?

A: No. Only EEPC v6.x will support Opal Drives.

Supportability

Q: How will McAfee detail the support for Opal drives?

A: The driving factor was to make it easy for an administrator to know that they have a supported configuration. The vast majority of customers surveyed are planning to bring Opal support into their organization via new hardware purchases. EEPC will specify its support for Opal drives in specific hardware models (ie EEPC will support a Dell E6420 that comes shipped with an Opal drive). That way, an administrator can easily know that new machines they purchase are supported by EEPC if the hardware includes an Opal drive.

Q: What models will be supported by EEPC?

A: The EEPC QA team will be testing the following models explicitly: Dell E6420, E6520, E5420 and the following HP Models (ProBook 4230s, 4330s, 4330s, 4436s, 4436b, 4530s, 5330m, 6360b, 6455b, 6535s, 6560b, 8460w, 8460p, 8560w and Elite 8200)

Q: Will EEPC support Opal drives on all the supported Operating Systems for EEPC?

A: No. EEPC 6.2 will support Opal drives on Windows 7 SP1 machines only. There are no plans at this time to support Opal on other Operating Systems.

Q: Why do I need SP1 of Windows 7 installed?

A: Some Opal drives are 512e drives; that is they are actually drives with sectors of size 4096 bytes, but which emulate old-fashioned 512-byte sector drives.  Windows 7 SP1 includes crucial driver fixes that allow these 512e drives to function correctly.

Q: What happens if a user attempts to activate EEPC on an Opal drive while running an Operating System other that Windows 7 SP1?

A: If EEPC detects an incompatible or unsupported combination of Operating System and Opal drive it will continue the activation process; however it will use Software Encryption instead of using the native Opal functionality.

Q: Will Opal drives be supported on Mac OS X?

A: No. Apple currently does not ship their devices with Opal drives so Opal is not supported on Endpoint Encryption for Mac.